I need a new sound card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new sound card...

Howdy all. I need a new soundcard, but don't know what I should go with.

For starters, I am running a VIA chipset (686B) and Win2k. I will not be using pc speakers for sound, it will all get passed along to a home stereo system.

What I want to know is, which soundcard will be best while using a seperate stereo system.

Things that matter to me...1) I can get Dolby 5.1 working with my stereo, for DVD watching...2) I can get surround in games to work with my stereo...3) everything sounds crisp and clear, always.

I think that about sums up all my needs. Any particular suggestions y'all have for me? I would like to pick up a card as soon as possible, as this onboard crap I got stuck using doesn't cut it.

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is a great sounding card. It has a programmable "Versa Jack" that can be either an input or output and the options include 4.1 and 5.1.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Is the jack on the Santa Cruz digital out? And does the surround work well when playing games on a home stereo. Also, does it do EAXx.x or A3Dx.x?

Comment

No sound card currently supports true digital surround in games.

The upcoming nForce is supposed to be able to compress an AC3 (DD5.1) stream on the fly, but no other card does this.

The best you get is "4.1", which is really just Pro Logic on a digital stream.

I can personally recommend the Audigy, or if you never want to play any of the Baldur's Gate type games the Santa Cruz.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Another recommendation for the Audigy.

Comment

Working...
          X