Mandrake 8.1 and networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrake 8.1 and networking

Slightly baffled I'm posting this via a network consisting of one NT machine providing internet connection sharing and this dual boot linux machine. So the network is working in a way. However I can't browse the local network and the only time that the Mandrake thinks it's connected is when the NT machine has made up a dailup connection. If I hang up there isn't any connection. Using both static ip and dynamic have the same effect.
    Also if I click on the local network icon it's says cannot connect host to localhost.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Networking ???

Hiya !

By networking problems do you mean LAN connections ?

You don't say how much you know about linux networking so I don't know if I'm telling you stuff you already know !

Make sure that you have share permissions set on the drives/directories on the NT PC.

In linux, use KDE, and start Konqueror as a file manager.

In the URL / location window, type smb://nt_machine

where "nt_machine" is the name of ... er.. your NT machine, and all available shares will be shown.

I haven't got an NT machine; I have three 98SE boxes, each with user-logins.

I'm using Mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.0.

When I access the shares, I get a dialog box prompting for a password, so I'd say your NT box would require the same thing.

When you want to go beyond Konqueror to do some serious networking , you'll have to use SAMBA and unfortunately I haven't got around to setting that up yet. Fortunately we have some 'Yodas" in this forum who may help out further.

Regards

zaphod
    We believe it is far better to face reality than it is to stick our heads, sand-like, into an ostrich - Dr. Fegg

Comment

I know very little about linux networking I'm okay under NT and 98. I'll try your suggestion later one (I'm on NT right now) and see what happens.
      I've got a feeling Samba not installed or it's not installed properly either that or it's hidden well away. Under Mandrake 8 there was a shortcut on the desktop that allowed you to add packages this seems to have disappeared under 8.1. Anyway I'll cross the samba bridge when I get to it.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Mandrake packages...

Get the samba-common and samba client packages, and try the Konqueror trick. Also you may have to set the suid bit (chmod +s) on the smbmount and smbumount packages. The following links might help:

-Rahul
        Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
        Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

I've got samba working however this leads to another problem. I use netbeu to talk over the network rather than netbios for security reasons. So is there anyway to get samba to use netbeu rather than netbios.

Having a look on the internet it seems like I'm buggered. Is there an alternative to Samba??
          Last edited by The PIT; 1 October 2001, 12:26.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Why NetBeui?

From what I have read, NetBIOS can work either over TCP/IP or NetBeui. This means that any vulnerabilities inherent in NetBIOS will not go away just because you change the underlying transport protocol. Just use regular NetBIOS over TCP/IP and get a firewall (~$100, cheaper if you build your own) if you are that worried.

-Rahul
            Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
            Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Working...
            X