Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mobo recommendation please

Hi
    I know people have asked simillar recently, but my question is a little different:

I'm gonna get a 1.4 Athlon. I mayl get M's next card (soon ) so on board graphics to tide over would be good if not too much extra. On-board network would be good. 266DDR, preferably 3 slots would be good. I don't want any VIA problems! I suppose RAID isn't necessary.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Tony.
    FT.

Many times onboard grahpics cause problems when another Gcard is added. I wouldn't suggest this route.

As for a new MB... geez that's a tuffy with the way the market stands currently. To me I'm glad not to be in the mood to build a system (couldn't afford it anyway What appears to be amazingly fast now I have the feeling will be considered slow shortly.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Mike - I know what you mean about the on board gfx. I do have a really crappy agp card somewhere, so I suppose I could put the G400 in the new system for a while.

What things specifically do you think are gonna take a leap? The 1.4Gig is at a lovely price point, makes it possible for me to consider a 2nd system. It looks like the mobo will cost more than the cpu!

Tony.
      FT.

Comment

I had a little chat with Kyle ([H]ocp) the other day and we both believe that P4's will be ramping up much faster than 99.9% believe. If this occurs, then what appears to be a wonderful price now will be high like memory was just 6 months ago.

Supress that urge and save your pennies for now
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I agree with Greebe, wait. Both Intel and AMD platforms have some good products just around the corner (KT266A, i845+DDR, nForce, SIS 745 bla bla bla).

Comment

the i845+DDR isn't happening until 2002.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's only three months. That's not very much time if you ask me.

Comment

No, the i845 + SDR happens in January. No DDR until late 2002 or Jan 2003, I forget the contract details.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oooh, in that case forget that I said that it was just around the corner.

Comment

ECS K7S5A

Hi Tony Andrews,

I was in your shoes about 1 month ago. Then I got a 1.4 athlon + ECS K7S5A which has the new SIS chipset. It's dirt cheap ($100 cdn) which left me some extra $ to get some cas 2 DDR. I was scared at first since I had never heard of SIS before. Then I read the first review, and they loved it. Read a second review and it still got high marks. Read a third review and I was sold.

It's by far the most stable athlon board out there.

Enjoy,
                    EecheE
                    --EecheE

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      No, the i845 + SDR happens in January. No DDR until late 2002 or Jan 2003, I forget the contract details.
                      How come then that I can already get me a I845 Motherboard then??

They have been available for weeks...
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm personally waiting for a KT266A board. Either the MSI K7T266Pro2, or whatever Asus comes out with. Unless Asus does something amazing, I'll probably go with the MSI.

I have to buy a new monitor first anyway (I'm thinking Viewsonic P95f, how's that sound?), so the major upgrade will have to wait for a few months.

In order to upgrade, I have to replace the mobo, cpu, ram, cdrom, and burner. The last two have to go because I'm dumping scsi once and for all, which my current mobo (asus p2b-s) has on board. It's going to cost me about a grand (canadian) to get all the bits and pieces that I want, not including the monitor.

Before any of this happens though, I have to find myself a new apartment, 'cause my current place sucks major ass
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Technoid,
                          I'm not sure what the details are. The 845 has RDRAM and SDRAM support built-in. According to the intel/Rambus contract, the 845+SDRAM wasn't supposed to be allowed to ship for a while yet.
                          Maybe something changed, or my info was wrong. I'm confused, and would like to know exactly what has happened recently.

Comment

I am also considering upgrading... Are you sure that you want to go AMD?
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy - Unless something changes (which it might according to the hints, but AMD usually responds when it does), I can't see a reason for switching to Intel.

EecheE - thanks, I'll take a look. Anyone else got any comments on that board?

Tony.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X