CPU fan keeps dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU fan keeps dying

It's the 4th one in 2 months (good thing I have a slot CPU).

The first time I though it was just a bad fan. After the second died I assumed there was something wrong with the mobo and juiced the third fan from the PS cables with a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter. After a couple of weeks it died also. The 4th fan was also connected with the adapter and joined the casualty list half an hour ago.
    The odd thing is that it's always the one closest to the PSU.

What kind of failure exactly? Mechanical or electrical?

Maybe just a bad brand.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Mostly mechanical.
      1 Sunon, 2 F.T.C (Fanner Tech CO) and 1 Power Logic

Put another Sunon in today, wish it has a longer life than the others.

Comment

Why is this topic in the Soap Box?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Because it was more of a rhetorical "rant" and... well, sometimes I like to post hardware related stuff
          in TSB ( ).

Comment

Are they sleeve or a ball bearings type?
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

ball bearings

Comment

Use a very light weight oil to free them up

Comment

I'll try

Comment

P3 Hoover?

Does your computer operate in an extemely dusty environment? If it's sucking in a lot of dust, that might explain all these fans failing prematurely.

Use a vacuum cleaner to remove household dust, not your computer!

Comment

invest in a UPS and/or power supply

I would suspect power related. If you live in a remote area, perhaps live in an old house, or get frequent power spikes it could be doing some wierd and wonderful things to your PC.

As always, best of luck
                      Whyzzi
                      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Dust can cause this problem, but I have found that fans that fail like this is due to the lack of lubrication... or what was there has dried out leaving a caked up film that binds the bearings.

If it were power related his system would be crashing all over the place.

Comment

Could be many things.
                          On the dust side, I ran my PC with the case open for the last 14 months. So it does take more dust in than normally. I do take time to clean the room and from time to time take each component out and brush the dust off it .
                          I run it with the case closed now.

On the power side. I've had some problems in the last month. Power cutting just for a sec or two enough to reset the PC, became more frequent till it culminated with a total blackout on a 2 block radius. Power company fixed it now.
                          Looking to buy a surge suppresor and a backup source.

Could also be what Greebe said.

Comment

Working...
                          X