I hate SPAM!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate SPAM!!

Well, they have hit a new all time high for pissing me off.

I got a text message on my cell phone today (it's AT&T too). It was for some news service. I called AT&T about it and asked if it was free or what. The lady said that it wasn't an AT&T product but they were aware that this message was sent out. I said "So it was SPAM?" and she said "Unfortunately so."

So now I can't get away from spam even when I leave the computer. I would just leave the phone off, but I am sure that they would then just have some guy follow me around all day shouting advertisements at me.

Sometimes technology sucks.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

If I were you, I'd call AT&T up and explain that if they don't block unwanted messages, you will sue them.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I heard that! Spam sucks.

Unfortionately unless legislation is passed by the state you live in this will continue. Lobbyist and special intrerest groups have entirely to much power over our politicians/goverment.

For email spam try...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Cool, that mailwasher proggie sounds like just the thing I need, thanks a lot Greebe
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          If I were you, I'd call AT&T up and explain that if they don't block unwanted messages, you will sue them.
          What on earth could I sue them for?

Greebe:
          Is there a way to use WebWasher with Hotmail? That is where I get most of my spam. I use OE to check all of my Hotmail accounts and Outlook 2000 to check my personal account.
          Last edited by Pneumatic; 27 September 2001, 04:00.

Comment

Sue them for hijacking your phone. You didn't authorize those calls. Or, wait until you get three of them, then pay $30 to have the police put a trace on it, and take the originators to court.

It might cost a bit, but it ought to get your name on the "don't call this guy under any circumstances" list.

I got on that list... just by being myself with the callers.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

The problem is that they aren't "calls". THey are text messages sent through an e-mail client to my phone.

You can send an e-mail to my phone by using "mynumber@mobile.att.net" (where "mynumber" is my mobile phone number of course). That makes it VERY easy for someone to SPAM since you can send it from ANY e-mail client. You could in theory just put in a batch of numbers and hit them all.

I know it is a minor annoyance, but when my phone goes of telling me I have a text message I want to know that it is from somone that actually has a message for ME.
              Last edited by Pneumatic; 27 September 2001, 04:52.

Comment

Same thing happened to me a couple of months back, I found a phone number of the company involved (a free phone number) and refused to hang up until I'd had an apology and an assurance that it wouldn't happen again (it hasn't).

There should be legislation against this kind of thing.
                Chris Blake

Comment

I don't have any suggestions on how to to limit Hotmail spam other than using their online filters. Hotmail is nothing but a wasteland of spam anymore.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Spam Spam Spam wonderful spam Wondeful Spam.

Thats one problem I've never suffered from much.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X