Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D design packages

Hi all,

Do you know of an easy to use 3D design program? I could use something like lightwave but I wouldn't know where to start.

What is is, is that we're doing some decorating at home and before I do some work, I want to draw it up first, and I though it might be cool to do it on the PC. It'd be cool if I could import my own textures too.

Well it depends ... i cant think of an easy to learn 3D App OTOH, but i know that i had a hard time starting w/ LightWave 6, but i picked it up with MAX3 right off ...

So i guess it depends. I "connected" with MAX right away, because most objects are made by primitives of some sort, or by extrunig a custom shape, and editing it afterwards ...

All good 3D programs can use custom textures, MAX has a separate folder for them, called maps (which is ~600Mb in my case), and all you need is a pciture, most types will do (.gif, .jpg, .tga, .tif etc)

Also, MAX has a good way of applying the textures on an object, and you can tweak the position, tiling, size etc of the texture map ...

As you`ve noticed, i use MAX4 So i`d reccomend that, though i dont know how long it`ll take you to start with it ... From what i can gather, you arent really interested in some serious work w/ some complicated 3D program ... maybe someone else can recomend a simpler program with limited capabilities that suit your needs ...
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

I found Cinema4D quite intuitive - but all I know is the old Amiga version, dunno how the prog has changed in the meantime
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

I personally learned Truespace, and found it pretty easy to learn (at least the basics). And it definitely has a fair bit of power in it for the better 3D user.

I'm not creative and I found myself able to do some pretty interesting stuff with it.

dsp
        1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
        512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
        MSI 845PE FISR
        8.4GB Quantum CR
        40GB Maxtor 5400
        MSI 40X12X48
        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
        SB Audigy
        Parhelia (210/600)
        19" Dell P991
        Win2kPro