Quick networking question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick networking question...

I'm about to run some wire in my house this weekend and I have a question that just popped into my head that might create headaches and wanted to double check before I went ahead to doing anything.

This is what is going to happen:

I have a Linksys 4 port router that I need to connect to another room. I plan on getting 3 patch cables running from the router to a 3 or 4 port wall jack in my room. then I'm going to punch down CAT5 from this wall jack to the other wall jack in the other room. then getting an additional 3 patch cables to attach up the other 3 computers in the other room from this wall jack. For some reason I have a little voice in my head telling me that I need to do something else here so that it will all work alright. I think it has to do with me thinking about needing a crossover cable if you need to connect up two PCs directly together. But with me using a router I shouldnt run into this problem right? I haven't run cable in a while so I'm a little rusty!

Thanks

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

No crossover cable is neccessary with your setup
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You only need crossovers when your going directly between NICs (no hub/switch/router).

I did the exact same thing between my office and my wife's office in the home: I used the Leviton wall plate frames and inserts to pass through three Cat 5 lines between the rooms.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I can vouch for the Levitan RJ-45 walljacks: they are quite good, however, the included "punchdown" tool leaves a good deal to be desired.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
        X