P3 850e - Fcpga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3 850e - Fcpga

So, i`m gonna get myself one of these (atleast i`m planning on doing so). But, my MB is Abit BE6II Slot 1, and the chip is (obviously) FCPGA. Now, i was thinking i`d go and get a Socket370-Slot1 adapter card, but reading the AnandTech review of the P3 E CPUs, it turns out it wont work as i planned (for some reasons i didnt bother to read, it just wont). But the review in Anand was old, so i wanted to ask are there now FCPGA-Slot1 convertors that will work with my MoBo.

Also, whats your oppinion, should i go OEM or Boxed? I dont intend to overclock MUCH, because i`m strapped for cash and cant afford additional expenses such as quality heatsinks, fans etc etc.
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

I've got a FCPGA P3-700E running on my Abit BX6r2 on a Gigabyte FCPGA-> Slot-1 adaptor, and all is fine.

Asus also makes slot-1 adaptors, and personally I would go for those if you can lay your hands on one

If the Boxed isn't much more expensive than the Tray version, go for the boxed. Boxed CPUs have a very decent HSF unit (at least the faster Coppermine models) supplied in the box, and the CPUs are generally of higher quality than the OEM/Tray ones.

Comment

Thanks Frank, i knew i could count on you. I would`ve asked you on IRC, but i dont have it installed anymore ...

I was thinking that the boxed version would suit me better, all-in-one ... last i looked, the boxed versions cost some 5-10% more than the Tray one, so its not too much ... i just hope that the store where i want to buy the CPU from has the box version ...

Comment

I can vouch for both the Gigabyte and Asus slotkeys. Use a load of both.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Mordrid, how are they at overclocking? I see by your sig that you have one ... and the jumperless slotkey, that means you can alter the FSB directly from the BIOS, no messing with the slotkey?

Comment

HeyO ...

I'm running a Cel-566 @ 1.85V & 952MHz, using an ABIT SlotKET!!! on a very old Asus P2B-S.

Go for ABIT and you're safe, I'd say.

You could also do a search since it's been discussed plenty of times ...
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I used an Abit SlotKET!!! to run my FC-PGA 850 on my ASUS P2B-S. I had no problems installing it and it came right up but I never tried o/c'ing it. I don't know how your MB will do.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks you guys ... Maggi i KNOW you have a monster there

It turns out that guy i`m supposed to buy the CPU only has boxed versions of the 850E

I can get it here for a quite reasonable price, esp. for a boxed version ... my P3-500 Katmai + 130DM (~60$) ... he`s a friend of my best friend so i`m getting a discount

Anyways, if i get the boxed version, i`m good to go. But, if i buy the OEM tray version, i`m looking at some added costs ... i figure :
                10$ - Slotkey
                7$ - HS
                10$ - Fan
                + thermal grease

Are the numbers correct? I`m not talking top of the line products here, just reasonably priced & good components ...

Comment

boxed version already contains a HSF unit, so only the slotket is needed

Comment

Working...
                  X