HELP!!! W2K freezes at boot time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! W2K freezes at boot time!

Yesterday night, the power failed when I was working in W2K. This morning, when I tried to boot up, it freezed at boot time. Tried repairing the installation and scandisk too.

Formatted C:/ and installed W2K again, and it took me all morning to install all the software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.). The computer was working normally. After installing Mcafee Viruscan and rebooting, the computer froze again (and freezes everytime I try to boot). Can this be a virus?
    I won´t even post my system specs, because the computer had been running smoothly for 3 months.

Re: HELP!!! W2K freezes at boot time!

Originally posted by Alec
    After installing Mcafee Viruscan and rebooting, the computer froze again (and freezes everytime I try to boot).
    This should be a warning to all computer users:

Mcafee antivirus Is and has always been the worst computer Virus I have ever seen!

To Not use a antivirus program is better than using mcaffee!!!

Last edited by Technoid; 26 September 2001, 13:32.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Re: Re: HELP!!! W2K freezes at boot time!

Originally posted by Technoid

Mcafee antivirus Is and has always been the worst computer Virus I have ever seen!

No antivirus program is better than mcaffee!!!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Guess he ment:

"Mcafee antivirus Is and has always been the worst computer AntiVirus I have ever seen!

No virus program is better than mcaffee!!!"

Comment

I ran DOS antivirus and no viruses. I replaced the MBR. I checked the disks again. I formatted C: again and installed W2k AGAIN. I´m afraid the problem returns. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Comment

Check my post again, I have made corrections

What I meant Alec, Is that your problem is not because of a virus but because of Mcafee antivirus program!!

Your first post is somwhat rethorical as it answeres itself...
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks for your tips, but it´s not Mcafee´s antivirus, as I installed Norton Antivirus 2001 today and the same thing happened right on the next reboot... it´s a strange problem, as it forced me to go back to Win ME (bleearrgghh). Maybe later WinXP.

Here´s everything that I did, just for the record:

Checked for viruses;
              Ran Scandisk;
              Restored the Master Boot Record;
              Tried every kind of W2K safemode, but no go;
              Messed around in the BIOS (disabling a piece of hardware at a time);
              Cleared the ESCD area;
              Reflashed the motherboard´s BIOS;
              Installed W2K twice, which fails to boot a dozen reboots later and a few programs and drivers installed later;

Maybe that power failure (because of a storm) has tampered with my trusty Intel AL440LX...

Comment

Working...
              X