• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLY SH!T!! New LOTR trailer!!

Download here

30meg!!

This is freakin' beautiful!!!!

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

I saw it during Agel last night. It looks very impressive. There are three things I'm worried about:

1) The acting. Most of the cast are very accomplished actors that will do an incredible job. There are a few of them I am worried about though. The acting looked good from the few tid bits you see from the trailers.

2) The story. How well can Peter Jackson and crew take the legendary Tolkien books and turn them into 3 x 2:45 movies. Plus you know the executives of New Line are going to want some 'script reworks' to make it appeal to a 'wider audience'...this is what I'm most sceptical about.

3) Special effects. They looked great, but so did the effects from the Mummy Returns until the last 30 minutes. Thankfully Peter Jackson bit the bullet, swallowed his pride and has contracted out the special effects to 3-4 additional SFX houses to get them all done in time and at the highest possible quality, so I'm not too worried about it.

On the plus side...the cinematography is incredible. The costums look fantastic. The sets are spectaular...looking up so far.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I kinda hoped that dwarfs will be a bit smaller and elves will be a bit taller... but you can't have all, can you?
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

The acting:

Whose acting are you concerned about? I assure you, Mr. Jackson has made REALLY good choices for most of the cast. We'll see in the final analysis, but I for one trust him.

The story:

They're changing only minor stuff. The Aragorn/Arwen thing has really been played up, but honestly most of that was in the appendix anyway, they've just reinserted it into the movie proper... which is necessary in a movie anyway. Jackson is doing a COMMENDABLE job sticking to the storyline.

The effects:

Well, Jackson has a controlling interest in WETA (the effects company). What is happening is that Fellowship is DONE. Done as in off at New Line being duplicated done. Well, maybe not JUST yet, but really really close.

The issue is that the budget was VERY tight (from what I hear), so they're gonna see how the first one does, and try to get more money out of New Line and the investors for Two Towers and ROTK... and Jackson can tell WETA to just do it on credit until they see how it goes. I trust it will turn out just fine... UNLIKE the Mummy Returns.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I heard rumors that they might not really shut down production, but just keep rolling on the trilogy while everything is set up in NZ.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat:

All production filming is done. They filmed all three movies back to back during a 14 month period. That is how they are able to release each movie only one year apart from each other. The only thing left of production for all three movies are effects and maybe some touch-up filming on a sound stage.

Gurm:

Acting - Like I said, I'm only concerned about a few. People like Ian Mckellen, Chirstopher Lee, Cate Blanchet and so forth I have no troubles with. It's some of the younger actors I'm worried about. Liv Tyler is cute and all, but I have never been a fan of her acting abilities. The young hobbits, Elijah Woods, Sean Astin and Billy Boyd are what concerns me the most. They have a MAJOR role and I have either not been impressed by thier past works too much or haven't seen a lot of their stuff. Come on, Encino Man is in Sean Astin's resume. I'm not saying they are going to be bad, they may fit that part far better than I could ever imagine...I'm merely saying I'm a bit concerned.

Story - I've heard the Aragorn/Arwen thing, I'm not too concerned about that. It's any other surprises that may pop up AND how do you condense a huge, detailed book into a short movie. You could make the entire first book into an 8 hour movie...

Effects - Not to worried, because Jackson has hired help. WETA was falling behind schedule, which is why Jackson hired other companies to help. As long as all parts do their job consistently, I don't forsee any troubles. This is only a minor concern as I'm sure everyone working on the project is probably a big LotR fan.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hey hey! Sean Astin has done a SHITLOAD of stuff.

The other younguns are fairly well known in ... well ... other countries.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I can't believe that The Mummy is metioned in a LOTR thread.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

It would have been nice to have known that this was in a .MOV format....unviewable with Media Player....prior to downloading....

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for the movie.

b
                  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Working...
                  X