How do I convert NTFS to FAT32?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I convert NTFS to FAT32?

I bought a used computer with Win2000 loaded on it and the hard drive was formatted using NTFS. I want to re-format the drive and install Win98SE with FAT 32 instead. How the heck do I do it? I've tried using FDISK but it won't work. It doesn't seem to recognize the NTFS files properly. To make matters even more frustrating, a password (which I don't have) is required to log onto Win2000, so if there's some kind of utility within Win2000, I can't get to it. Any suggestions?

If you have W2k CD then set your bios to boot from CD. There is, as far as I remember, option to format partiton and you can choose between NTFS nad FAT.

Comment

You have multiple options:

-Use Partition Magic (commercial software) if available.
      -If you have a Linux installation CD, boot from it, remove partitions using the partitioning software (Disk Druid?) then quit (save changes) and create new ones using FDISK.
      -Try using Ranish Partition Manager, which I haven't tried but people tell it's powerful: http://www.ranish.com/

After any of these steps it might still be necessary to run the command "FDISK /MBR" to rewrite the boot sector of the drive.

Comment

That was a quick response, sasa! Unfortunately, I don't have the W2k CD as it didn't come with the computer. I didn't think it was going to be a problem because I didn't want to use that OS anyway. I need another suggestion!

Comment

Geez, you guys are fast! Thanks for the suggestions, Tempest. I think I have a copy of Partition Magic somewhere around here. I've never used it, but maybe now's the time to try it!

Comment

Is there a chance to ask for password? If you have some friend runnink nt or w2k ask him to make you bootable floppy. You will need 3 floppy disks for that. When you boot from floppy you will be able to format HDD. Another solution is to unplugg your HDD and take it to friend with w2k so he can format it.

Comment

sasa, there's no chance that I'll get the password. I bought the computer at a bankruptcy auction. However, your other suggestion is good. If I can't get Partition Magic to work I may try that option. Thanks.

Comment

FDISK will do it for you.
                Just delete non DOS partition.

Kim
                P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Kim, I'm afraid not. I forget all the various messages I was getting, but FDISK refused to delete and/or properly recognize about 80% of the drive no matter what delete option I chose. I may be wrong, but I couldn't find a way to do it. (Are there different "versions" of FDISK? I was using a boot disk with FDISK on it that was made on my Win98 machine.)

I think my best bet is probably to use Partition Magic to re-format this NTFS drive to FAT32. I guess the only way to do this is to temporarily install this drive on my Win98 machine and use Partition Magic to format it while it's installed there. I've never tried this program before, so I hope I can use it without pulling out too much of my hair.

Comment

I just did this last night...NTFS to FAT32

1: Open up FDISK, FDISK will detect an NTFS partition.
                    2: ENABLE Large Disk Support (Important)
                    3. Delete the non-DOS Partition
                    4. Create Primary DOS partition.
                    5. Create any extended partitions.
                    6. Exit.
                    7: Reboot.
                    8: Format all drive partitions.

If this for any reason does not fix the problem, crack the system open, and locate the manufacturer of the HDD, download the utilities availablr from the HDD Manufacturer and use those tools to reformat and partition.
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

MultimediaMan, you guys are beginning to make me doubt my sanity. However, FDISK would not delete the non-DOS partition, despite trying every option available.

The drive is a Maxtor 10Gb (91010D6). I'll check Maxtor's site and see what utilities they may have. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

How are you booting the system? DOS or Win98 diskette, other? What FDISK utility are you running? The one that ships with the booted OS? What messages are you getting when you try to delete the partition(s)?
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xortam's got something here...

You need to use the Fdisk utility made from a Win98SE Startup disk created in Windows. NOT the OEM floppy that may have come with the OS or the bootable CD...
                          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

xortam, MultimediaMan, I'm booting this computer with a startup disk made on my Win98SE machine. The FDISK utility I'm using is the one put on that floppy when it was created. I'll try using FDISK again and this time I'll take notes so I can report what the messages are.

Comment

Yeha, I figured. He's using an older version of FDISK.

If you can't get Partition Magic to work, or you can't find a newer fdisk, you could get gparted. It's a Linux tool, but there's images of floppies freely available out there, and I'll help you find one if you need it. Boot the floppy, delete the partitions, and throw your W98 installation disks in there.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X