G400 Problem and XP (maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Problem and XP (maybe)

I have a vanilla G400 and recently have begun to have a problem with it.

What happens the screen will go black or judder around and flicker. I have confirmed that it is not a monitor problem as it is happening on 2 seperate monitors.

Has anyone else had this problem with there G400?

The G400 is using a blorb for cooling, but it not currently overclocked and the other system specs are as follows

ASUS CUSL2-C
    Celeron 633 running at 950 (100Mhz Bus)
    512MB 133 Ram
    SB Live 5.1
    Windows XP Pro RC2 running lastest Beta Matrox Drivers.
    CTX 17" Trinitron Monitor

If it is the G400 giving up the Ghost can anyone recommend a card with better 3d performance than the G400 and has good 2D as well, with good XP drivers?

The G400 has a 3 year warranty. Contact Matrox if defective.

WinXP RC2... wouldn't that be considerend warez now?!

Matrox has drivers released for this OS but not for the G400 as of yet. Additionally, since this OS isn't available to the public then support for it doesn't exist.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My RC2 isn't warez as I only got it through Technet last month and it is valid for 180 days, and the chances of Matrox replacing the card are nill, as the card has been modified with the blorb.

I was more wondering if anyone else had had this problem with the new drivers or if, as I suspect, the card has had enough.

Comment

Many have either replaced HS and or added a fan and that didn't void the warranty... as long as the original HS was placed back on/no objectional uglyness has been done.

Does it work OK in another OS or system? Post up your system specs. (drivers/hardware/irq's etc)

Matrox won't troubleshoot XP issues yet. Especially since there are no drivers for the card. They only open up once the product is available for purchase by the public, ie troubleshoot full retail product all else is a waste of time and effort (for them)

Most here beta testing XP have a newer version than RC2, so I don't know how successful you'll be in this endeavor.

Anyone want to help/add a comment for Matthew?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

All I can say is that I had no probs under XP build 2600 so far. Games run fine even FIFA2000 which did not run under win2k at all.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Same here... the 5.71 drivers on Windows XP 2600 make my G400MAX perform the best i have seen in a long time. Very little problems in games and all. it works quite nicely.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

WinXP does have the drivers for G400. It installed my dual head perfectly. May not be the best drivers but it's there.

Comment

Considering noone else has the problem, and it happens in 2d and 3d and then randomnly comes back, I think I have to declare that my G400 is dying after years (well 2) of good service.

Anyone got a recommendation for a new card?

Comment

Wouldn't it be a gas if it were only not pushed in the AGP slot all the way?!?!?!

Comment

I have removed the card and put it back, though I will double check it as I have had problems with the card fitting in the slot before.

Comment

How do you set your AGP/PCI bus ratio ? 2/3 or 1 ?

Comment

G400 and XP

Matthew,

I am using a completely unmodified G400MAX and am having the same problems as you. The screen garbling and frequent unannounced rebooting makes WIn XP RC2 unusable for me. I must admit that it was soo bad I just gave up and wiped the partition. I had the same problem with RC1 but not with the beta version.

I have tried the 5.52 Win 2k drivers but this did not help. I know there is a later beta version, but I am waiting for the official Matrox XP drivers. Are we two the only one having this problem? If I had bought WinXP and found it to be so broken I would have been pretty annoyed.

Kevin

PS The card works perfectly under Win98 / IE 5.5 and Win95, so it is probably not a hardware fault.
                        Last edited by macrotech; 30 September 2001, 00:21.

Comment

@bvh... in CMOS setup (BIOS)

Comment

I'm confused

>> @bvh... in CMOS setup (BIOS)

?? Sorry - what does this mean ??

I am suspecting the BIOS setup since I reflashed the BIOS on my Supermicro P6SBA motherboard and upgraded a PII 400 to a PIII 1Ghz, which I think was between trying the beta version and RC1.

Kevin

Comment

I have the same problems, but they don't occur if I use 5.32 drivers (WHQL certified). Any other driverset makes my XPs crash pretty often, also making them unusable...

Guess we'll just have to wait for certified drivers...
                              Yeah, and maybe you guys that have problems could post complete specs of your systems... Maybe we catch the culprit!

Comment

Working...
                              X