Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinModem woes

First the beef:

a friend of mine is running the Mandrake 8.0 Linux distribution on a K6-III@400/256Mb Ram. Recently he "upgraded" from an E-Tech Bullet 28.8 external modem to an internal PCI 56K modem, which - of course - is a shitmo..., i mean winmodem (thank you 3Com for that nifty name).

The soup:
    It features the ESS ES 56T-PI shipset and the only solution, that works partially, we have found is to download a Redhat6.1 kernel that was used to compile the driver into it. But that's a 2.2.x kernel and for some reason it keeps bombing some other applications like Maple (under KDE) that run fine with the 2.4 of the original distribution. We, of course tried reinstalling the corresponding packages but to no avail.

The salt:
    We are both pretty much newbies regarding Linux and are now completely out of options and ideas.

I know, that this is NOT the right place to ask for it, but maybe you happen to have a straight answer (except "thrash it", which we thought by ourselves before ).

Kind regards
    Last edited by Six Of One; 23 September 2001, 19:25.

Stuck with 2.2.x...

You are stuck with 2.2.x. The only driver available is a binary-only driver compiled for the 2.2.12-20 kernel of RedHat. The following page should show you how to use it with your own compile of kernels up to 2.2.17.

Oh yeah. Spend some money and get a real modem. Or save for cable/DSL.

Hope this helps,
    Rahul
    Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
    Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Thanks

Well, we had it figured so far too. Both the kernel part and the get-a-new-modem part. Thank you anyway.

Currently he simply runs both modems because neither OS complains this setup. The 56K under Windows and the 28.8 under Linux. For e-mail checking it is enough.

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X