PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Matrox Board

damone
23rd September 2001, 19:21
my opinion -

Matrox cannot continue to place 100% focus on the business market without suffering a slowdown somewhere in the middle. Businesses will always need upgraded components, but not at the pace that consumers upgrade to a more 'kick-ass' gaming board. Matrox is not stupid. They have talented engineers, Marketing potential, and experience. All of that = next-gen gaming king. Their engineers can't keep outputting a slightly tweaked version of un outdated board and expect to offer a celeb product.

I am confident that Matrox will once again release a winner. And soon. It'll have everything, including high-end business, industrial, gaming, and specialty uses. That way, they can skim the frothy top of the market while pleasing all of those patient enough to wait for the latest and greatest.

I'm holding off for another 6 months, who's with me??

Tempest
24th September 2001, 00:55
I too believe we'll see some serious horsepower from Matrox. But I've waited two long years now... And from what I've tested Motor City Online, the damn graphics engine is so heavy (okay, so the beta test code might be unoptimized) that a G400 has serious difficulties.
On the other hand, I've tested a Radeon... And sold it away for it's instability.

:confused:

KeiFront
24th September 2001, 10:22
I hope we will see some serious horsepower.

If I want to get some decent framerates at high resolutions in modern games I have to use my $vidia instead of my G400MAX.

Let's hope we don't have to wait 6 months long.

Surfwienix
25th September 2001, 08:58
i'll keep on waiting, too!!!

i like my g400max so much!!!!!!!

Greebe
25th September 2001, 09:38
If ATI and nV are using Turbo/Super charged piston engines I'd suspect M will be Jet powered! :D

Electric Amish
25th September 2001, 09:46
Or mabye even Warp Drive?? ;)

amish

Greebe
25th September 2001, 10:17
Maybe... Enterprise does premier tommorrow :)

Nappe1
26th September 2001, 07:18
Originally posted by Tempest
I too believe we'll see some serious horsepower from Matrox. But I've waited two long years now... And from what I've tested Motor City Online, the damn graphics engine is so heavy (okay, so the beta test code might be unoptimized) that a G400 has serious difficulties.
On the other hand, I've tested a Radeon... And sold it away for it's instability.

Tempest aka. hmmh... I don't remember your nick at Muropaketti, but anyway ;): As I have been trying hint to you, wait for christmas at least before buying anything or you might regret your choice.

I have also said that Matrox is only a back door for me, if something goes to h*ll with my primary next gen chip/card (which I definately don't hope for, because those guys have been kicked too many times in the head and all of that because their first chip didn't made to market when manufacturer made bankcrupt with problems at Audio Side. wheeh.. awfull sentence even between brackets but I think you got it. :D), but based on the facts I know it does not sound bad at all. :)

so far I am not sure if my information is right because all the info that I got hasn't been correct. (yes, I mean a case of Matrox next Gen.) And that's why I am not willing to tell you. MURCers have suffered enough. I don't know if someone has just "pissed to my eye"(hehe :) Finnish saying... :D), Don't want make more hype than here already is.

But Stay tuned. :)

MURC is still one of the Best's User Groups. :)

JF_Aidan_Pryde
27th September 2001, 22:50
If Matrox's next gen does not support displacement mapping, I'm donating my brain to medical science! :)

Venturer
28th September 2001, 04:53
You 've promised! :D :D :D :D :p :o :rolleyes:

snn47
30th September 2001, 00:41
@NAPPE1

:confused:XMAS this/next year/decade/century/millenium/ . . . ? :confused:

K6-III
1st October 2001, 12:13
The sooner the better. I can't wait to use Matrox again.

frankymail
1st October 2001, 12:44
Hey guys,
Reading your post about matrox' nex-gen product, I have to says that you are soooo far from the thruth; why do you think Matrox has decided to name it's "high-end" (heum-heum) card "Millennium" ? Because they only release one brand new design per millennium... Anyway, I have two boxes here at home, and there won't be any matrox card in them (maybe if there a new REAL good card from matrox) and I ordered an Elsa G3 Ti 200 and an ATI Radeon 8500... I didn't even consider remotely touching any of matrox' cards (except the RT2X00) released after the G400...

mdhome
1st October 2001, 13:04
FrankyMail, if i'm right, the original Millenium card was released in the previous millenium. Now we are quite rightly waiting for this milleniums card. I wonder what it will be called.:)

regards MD

JF_Aidan_Pryde
1st October 2001, 17:00
*LOL* :D :D :D

frankymail
1st October 2001, 19:44
actually, we could wait up to 999 years before Matrox' new earth-shattering card comes out... :D

Helevitia
1st October 2001, 22:41
...and I'll still be waiting :) I am looking forward to there next card.

Dave

Kruzin
1st October 2001, 23:01
**no comment**

Greebe
1st October 2001, 23:41
Ditto

K6-III
3rd October 2001, 12:17
I just talked to the Matrox rep at the AMD Tech Tour Milwaukee. He said we should see their next product in Feb and it'll definitely be faster than Geforce3. More than they usually say. I should be in further contact (we'll see what happens.)

windigo
3rd October 2001, 16:38
FEB!!!! just in time for the launch of GeForce 4:D

Indiana
3rd October 2001, 17:25
Originally posted by windigo
FEB!!!! just in time for the launch of GeForce 4:D

And when there should be any delays with the GF4, we can still be sure that NVidia magically will get Detonator37 out that is MUCH faster again (but only in 3DMark and QIII and slower in everything else, but then who cares, since this seems to be the only thing those f*cking online sites are testing...)

[GDI]Raptor
3rd October 2001, 23:53
February?

OK, then I think we'll se an announcement around x-mas, perhaps at Comdex Fall? I dont thik we'll se anny GeForce4 untill june2002, but new detonator drivers us posible :p

The best case scenario is that Matrox's card beats GeForce3 Ti500, and Radeon 8500, and when GeForce4 comes out.... It turns out to be just as fast...... :D

windigo
4th October 2001, 03:29
And when there should be any delays with the GF4, we can still be sure that NVidia magically will get Detonator37 out that is MUCH faster again (but only in 3DMark and QIII and slower in everything else, but then who cares, since this seems to be the only thing those f*cking online sites are testing...)

LoL but only to hardware review sites not the actual public:D
but seriously i think matrox have hardwired the head in head casting, now for the rest of the body :)
im talking full skeletal animation in hardware (a dream I know)

KeiFront
4th October 2001, 03:51
FEB by then they should make a fully DirectX 9.0 compatible GPU.

$vidia and ATI are already working on nVidia NV25 (Geforce 4?) and ATi R300 (radeon 9000, 9500) both GPU are expected spring 2002.

$vidia: http://213.219.40.69/06070118.htm //I know maybe not a trustfull source
ATI: http://www.m3dzone.com/article.php?sid=1115&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

K6-III
4th October 2001, 04:31
I'll try to get you more info as it becomes available. This is, at least, appears better than what they were doing before, nothing.

[GDI]Raptor
4th October 2001, 13:46
Yes! Let's wait and se what Matrox brings us!

Lets speculate a little on features (we're good on this)..... what do you think?

Peter Aragon
4th October 2001, 15:04
Well, I hope that representative was talking bull, because february release would certainly be rather late, that would mean 3 months more torture with gaming on the G450 :(

And we know what Haig had to say, it would be *soon* ;)

So let's hope for the best. I hope the salespeople are aware that the christmas time is always a good time to release new things.

Tempest
4th October 2001, 19:01
Originally posted by Peter Aragon
I hope the salespeople are aware that the christmas time is always a good time to release new things. The releases of G450 and G550 were pretty much "when it's done" releases. But those cards weren't meant for gaming, and if a card is aimed at the gaming market, then pre-Christmas IS the release date to go for.

GT98
4th October 2001, 20:49
Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor

Lets speculate a little on features (we're good on this)..... what do you think?

Thats a good question....I would like to see something that does stuff different then whats out on the market now...like eDRAM etc etc :)

Scott

orangejulius
4th October 2001, 23:11
Head (http://www.castahead.com/)casting (http://www.gearheadracing.com/heads.htm) II (http://www.danblanton.com/casting.html): Castaway (http://www.geocities.com/project_ed/castaway2.jpg)

cjolley
5th October 2001, 05:45
Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor

The feature that I most want to see is EXISTANCE!
chuck

J1NG
5th October 2001, 06:21
The feature that I most want to see is EXISTANCE!

You said it Chuck! ;)

I know my G200 Marvel PCI is nice, but come on.... that's a 3, 4 year old piece of tech now...

J1NG
Still waiting for that Marvel G200 PCI with all the bells and whistles replacement ;)

KeiFront
5th October 2001, 11:10
Nice post cjolley I like your new feature.

Existance

[GDI]Raptor
5th October 2001, 14:50
AHA!!!!!

You meen ..... Yesterday I saw a graphics board who wasen't suposed to exist ..... I think it was a Matrox board

:D

K6-III
5th October 2001, 19:43
You have any info on that board that wasn't supposed to exist???

MK
6th October 2001, 12:20
LOL ! [GDI]Raptor has seen an UGO ! An Unidentified Graphics Object.

MK :D

magog
6th October 2001, 15:03
Let's put it together....

Ok, I think the new card is called
Matrox Existance 600

and the Chip is called
MGA-600 UGO
Sorry could not resist! ;)

SmellYfeeT
6th October 2001, 17:05
FEB by then they should make a fully DirectX 9.0 compatible GPU.

As far as I know , Matrox next chip will support parts of the Dirext9.0 but not fully compatible.

As Far as the EXISTENCE goes, I know that it actually exists as of now :) I heard Matrox had their First Revision produces by UMC and the chip actually works. Considering the fact that Matrox was shooting for a Pre-Christmas release and now they say Feb. , I would asssume that their prototype didn't perform as well as they want and they need to do some re-designing , haha :)
Lets be realistic, they have to win the game buy a head and shoulder to get back in the game. Having a system that is as good as GF3 or Rd8500 is not going to do it , if they will release it in Feb2000...

MK
6th October 2001, 19:41
Originally posted by SmellYfeeT

As far as I know , Matrox next chip will support parts of the Dirext9.0 but not fully compatible.

Considering the fact that Matrox was shooting for a Pre-Christmas release and now they say Feb. , I would asssume that their prototype didn't perform as well as they want ...

Both statements are pure speculation. And IMHO Radeon 8500 speed would be more than enough, at least for me and most of the other Matrox hardcore fans outside (and inside the holy halls of MURC :)) !

K6-III
6th October 2001, 21:55
The problem is that it must target more than just MURC'rs.

MK
7th October 2001, 04:58
I know I know .... ;)

MK

KeiFront
7th October 2001, 06:41
If they would release a new GPU in feb 2001 (I mean not announce it, otherwise we can wait a month longer) targeted at the high end user :cool:.

Then it should be faster than a Geforce3 or a Radeon 8500 cause
ATI and $vidia should have their R300 and Geforce4 already ready.

If it should be targeted before christmas they've got a buyer. Then at least I can replace my (old) G400MAX :). Otherwise I will wait for the R300 (Hydravison :confused: ).

RedRed
7th October 2001, 15:39
I have a sense of daja vu..... anyone else here?

I have heard all this since my Millenium II

and my g200

and my g400 DH

(The g200 & 400 are still going strong - almost adequate for games (the g400) - the mill. II I still uses as a reference board to check for mobo probs whith repairs.
Didnt touch a 450 or 550 tho....)

Would love to get something approaching contemporary speeds, not necessarially blazing saddles.....

I want the G799.99 Existance, as with Cj

Thanks Haig (I know you read these, sometimes.....)

Haig
7th October 2001, 17:59
I do pop in once in a while:)

Haig

[GDI]Raptor
8th October 2001, 11:39
Well Haig, can't you tell us more details.........
There have to be someting you can tell us......

;)

MK
8th October 2001, 13:20
Soon ! :D

J1NG
8th October 2001, 13:23
Soon !

:rolleyes:

J1NG

Where've we heard <b>THAT</b> before? :rolleyes:

KeiFront
8th October 2001, 13:30
How soon ??? ;)

MK
8th October 2001, 13:36
Haig ??

MK

K6-III
8th October 2001, 13:58
Private message. Cummon. Noone will know.

Haig
8th October 2001, 17:15
In the very near future:)

K6-III
8th October 2001, 17:31
Can you tell us anything other than the time of release, of which we already have a good idea.

Haig
8th October 2001, 17:33
Unfortunately, not until we officially release any kind of announcement on our website.

K6-III
8th October 2001, 17:48
When is that gonna happen???

Tempest
8th October 2001, 21:43
Damn, it appears as if they are all striking at once.. Matrox, ATI, Nvidia, maybe even the silent contender. You know, the one that's been most laughed at. As a consumer I find it nice, of course, but the graphics war is like every other war: Everybody will lose, it's just a matter of how much you lose :(
Now don't get me wrong, I don't know anything that you don't. Just a general feeling.

snn47
8th October 2001, 21:53
Fortunately for Matrox there is much time left in this millenium!:D

Unfortunately I won't make it that long:(

Marshmallowman
8th October 2001, 23:10
It will have to be soon, even SIS is starting to overtake matrox in performance,

The sis 315 :eek: how embarrasing

Topha
9th October 2001, 03:38
All i want to know is, whether i should get a AIW 8500 end of this month or wait for the G800 eTV?

All this waiting is fun and thrilling, but for those of us who can only afford a high-end graphic card every two years it sucks :)

DentyCracker
9th October 2001, 05:22
:D :eek: :cool: :D :confused: :D

mdhome
9th October 2001, 11:55
Topha
At least you know where you stand with the Radeon:(

regards MD

Darin
9th October 2001, 14:05
Originally posted by Tempest
...but the graphics war is like every other war: Everybody will lose, it's just a matter of how much you lose :(...
How do you figure? Competition is GOOD! Do you think the Radeon 8500 would be the price it is if it weren't for nvidia's products? Do you think the GF3s would be dropping rapidly in price if it weren't for the release of the 8500?

I would love to see Matrox come out with a competative product, as I really like their products. Unfortunately, I gave up on that happening any time in the near future over a year ago, and got a Radeon. It has served me well (I'm SO glad I didn't wait any longer, I shudder to think that I'd still be playing at the resolutions & framerates that my G400 provides), but I couldn't resist the Dell offer for the 8500 for $200 at Dell, so that's on it's way now. I would have LOVED to have ordered something new from Matrox (and was happy enough with the current performance of my original Radeon to wait), but I was too tempted by the 8500. Matrox really is loosing potential business. Hope it doesn't take them much longer.

Tempest
9th October 2001, 15:10
Originally posted by Darin
How do you figure? Competition is GOOD! That's what I said. Competition is good for consumers, not for business (except for the fact that it might motivate to speed up the development of new products & features, which ain't always good either). There's not room for ALL the graphics card makers on the market, someone has to give up, and it isn't always the one with the worst product. Huge companies can afford to sell their products cheaper than smaller competitors, at least for a while (enough to establish "leadership" on the market, which, in the eyes of Mr. Average, equals excellency). The big company loses money, but losing money is far better in the long run than losing customers.

Darin
9th October 2001, 15:13
Oh, sorry, I guess I misread your post! I think this is a great time for video card consumers, and if the Matrox (and/or BB) rumors have any truth in them, they are only going to get better!

Nappe1
10th October 2001, 12:34
Okay...
I really not sure if I should post this here, but here goes for nothing... (and I think that MURC is best place for this. YOU know that BB isn't just bunch of jackasses. :) )

It Really seems to me that we actually see somthing pretty cool from Matrox pretty soon. And what's more fancier, I heard about Bitboys vivo functions at their chip and those are like directly from Matrox RT-series. What I heard about Matrox chip, it seems that it cannot be accomplished without eDRAM or VERY efficient tiler.

... But funniest thing is that BB seems to be also very close to launch. (and I mean PRETTY close to each other.)

so there is two choices:
a) we are getting two very good choices for ATI and NVidia which are competiting fully each other... or
b) we get two very good choices for ATI and NVidia. Both having best sides of the both designs! (some kind of cross licensing maybe?)

one way or the other, I WILL LOVE IT! :) :cool: :p

[GDI]Raptor
10th October 2001, 13:01
Yes, I would love it to, but it depends WHEN!
Yuo don't have som info on that.....

NB! Soon.....is not an answer!!! :p

MK
10th October 2001, 15:23
I assume that Nappe is going to tell us the exact date *soon* ! :D

MK ;)

mute
10th October 2001, 16:21
:o i have a plan , they're head office is about 20-30 minutes from here , i can dress up in black , and go steal some board , and then someone can come and get it in jail from me ..

seriously.. oohh boy :) , and i'm just getting a bunch of money too

right time

GT98
10th October 2001, 19:11
Theory Time:

Back when the G400 was coming out Matrox noticed that EMBM would be a good feature to add to its cards, they licence the techongy from Bit Boys (from what I can tell they had the first verison of it or something)..fastword 2 years...Matrox finds itself falling behind the compation and has its G800 (G550) ready to come out, but finds it severly lacking in speed and has pretty much no future growth potentional. They Cut their losses by renaming it the G550 and cutting down the memory to 64 bit address and cutting down what the T&L unit can do to make it cheap and good option for their OEM customers. During this time Matrox finds itself looking for a solution for a new Card. They contact Bit Boys again and find that they could both benfit from a venture together...Matrox is looking for a new 3D core to start a future series of cards and Bit boys is looking for additional techongy and maybe some money. They both sign agreements that will come to fuirtion in the coming months :D.

Scott

Nappe1
11th October 2001, 04:20
Originally posted by MK
I assume that Nappe is going to tell us the exact date *soon* ! :D

MK ;)

I really like to, but I can't.

TdB
11th October 2001, 05:52
this could mean that matrox will ones again come up with a "superb" card, man!! i canīt wait :D

MK
11th October 2001, 06:34
GT98 - Not exactly what I think but more or less the same. :)

MK

borat
11th October 2001, 11:40
off the topic a bit(but hopefully not entirely)
what is eDRAM?

Fat Tone
11th October 2001, 11:42
Embedded DRAM i.e. integrated with the processor!

GT98
11th October 2001, 11:44
eDRAM (http://www.infineon-ncs.com/OurTechDRAM.html)

check that link out....basicly it helps out with bottlenecks in performance..

Scott

K6-III
11th October 2001, 13:59
My contact at Matrox says that some info may be released within a month concering their upcoming product.

KeiFront
11th October 2001, 14:29
Bitboys are already working almost for two years at this technology (Xtreme Bandwidth Architecture), eDRam integrated in a GPU. It could be very promising ;) but we haven't seen anything from then. But maybe we will see something soon :o .

At least they are working together with Infineon, and some other companies.

MK
11th October 2001, 15:30
Yep, they definitely do !

Mk :D

[GDI]Raptor
11th October 2001, 15:56
Well, I defendly hope Matrox realy will suprise me (positively) this time!

OK K6-III then we can just cross owr finger and hope something happens whithin a mounth

K6-III
11th October 2001, 19:36
Hopefully, we'll have something to report directly from Matrox. In the meantime, lets see who else we can bother and what else we can find out.

mute
15th October 2001, 06:26
Funny thing , had a dream last week , didn't bother much , because i thought it was real ..

but they were showing something about the g800 , like hmm they said expect 3dlabs rounded cables ..

i knew this didn't make any sense .. but i'm sure they have something coming , and i myself can't wait

MK
15th October 2001, 06:36
LOL ! You`re even dreaming of it ?

mute
15th October 2001, 09:37
well , my dreams are bizzare often ..

dream of people saying things on IRC , and turns out it was true, so i make an ass out of myself..

but more often i kill or hurt people in my dreams , 50 against me ..

before the g500 went out i had a dream about . a g501 or something like that ..

think i knew someone going out with a engineer working at matrox.. hope they're still together :)) ..

Peter Aragon
22nd October 2001, 06:25
Matrox Forum (http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum8/HTML/000548-2.html)
I'm pretty confident that we'll release something in 2002. Can't say more than that
------------------
Haig
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Manager

I'm going to cry. I managed to convince some friends to wait a few weeks for the new Matrox card to be available, even though they didn't want to beleive that Matrox would show up with something this year. I've been to the same ritual last year. Who is going to beleive me now that something is coming soon.
:(

GT98
22nd October 2001, 15:14
I dunno what your getting worried about but that message posted on the Matrox Tech support board was from the Spring of this past year..I'm not expecting a new Video Card till Christmas or Spring of next year at the lastest. I'm waiting for an annocement about it maybe in a couple weeks...or the end of this one :)

Scott

mdhome
22nd October 2001, 15:46
Scott,
Amen for that, but I believe that Haigs reply was done just a few days ago.

regards MD

xortam
22nd October 2001, 16:15
Jeez!!! Look at the view count on this thread. Do you think anybody's interested in what Matrox may be doing?

K6-III
22nd October 2001, 18:39
Let the excitement build. Lets hope that the product behind the excitement is worth it.

GT98
22nd October 2001, 18:52
Originally posted by mdhome
Scott,
Amen for that, but I believe that Haigs reply was done just a few days ago.
regards MD

Damn I thought that it was the same thread, which it is, but said something back in September about it. I just hope that if the Card does use BitBoyz Tech in it that the BB don't Drag down Matrox with their Vaporware they been spouting the past couple years.....

Scott

Terrafin
22nd October 2001, 21:15
hey guys... this does have to be the largest viewed about topic i have seen on here and i am glad i posted my first here hehe i own a Matrox G400Max and well i love the card... and i am so hoping the Matrox can announce something soon!! i cant wait any longer!!! :cool:

mdhome
22nd October 2001, 22:56
Terrafin
Welcome to the forums.
As for the size of this thread it just goes to show the loyalty of MURCers towards Matrox. I hope Matrox are deserving by producing a card of the quality in this era as the g400 was when it was released.

regards MD

Damien
22nd October 2001, 23:35
I have had all the matrox cards from the first millennium up to the 400 max & RRG. I was hopping Matrox would make it interesting again but I guess I am getting old because I no longer feel the loyalty I use to feel for this brandname. I have been very happy with their products but I will upgrade to the ATI because I
Can’t wait forever. Even if they do bring out a new card it won't make any difference because they are all good in the high-end range.

Goodbye Matrox and thanks for a solid product.

Damien.

Amiga Blitter
23rd October 2001, 12:00
As I have said on the Matrox Hardware forum, the matrox representatives at the smau said that no new product will be announced this winter, moreover these persons have said that matrox is focusing its efforts in the professional business market at this moment and no "anchor gamers" card will be releases. I do not understand as the beta testers or others can say that soon will be announced a new graphics card or something of revolutionary. I will publish the entire interview as soon as possible.

Ciao a tutti

GT98
23rd October 2001, 12:09
Originally posted by Amiga Blitter
As I have said on the Matrox Hardware forum, the matrox representatives at the smau said that no new product will be announced this winter, moreover these persons have said that matrox is focusing its efforts in the professional business market at this moment and no "anchor gamers" card will be releases. I do not understand as the beta testers or others can say that soon will be announced a new graphics card or something of revolutionary. I will publish the entire interview as soon as possible.
Ciao a tutti

Depends on who these representatives are...if they they are just Sale People I wouldn't expect them to know jacks*** about whats coming out next. The most I'm hopeing for at this point in time is to hear something that yeah we have a new card or Tech coming out in a couple months. It takes Matrox a couple months for their stuff to hit the shelf. I remember when the G400MAX came out it was accounced in May of 1999 and I didnt get mine till almost October since it was just about impossible to buy from anyone online besides Matrox themselfs. The G550 is a little better, but its Impossible say for Matrox to say something on the 26th of this month (rumor by Joel with an email he got from Matrox, see the thread in this DG) and then have a Card out by December time frame. The Card would be in production by now and its existance would have been surely leaked out by now!

Scott

Terrafin
23rd October 2001, 15:48
thanks for the welcome mdhome
lets just hope they have got something that they have been working on, and just dont wanna release it yet until the drivers are juuuuuuuuuust right... (CO~unlike ati~UGH!) :)