Win98Se reverting to a more than 1 year old registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98Se reverting to a more than 1 year old registry

I got a emegency call from my mom about her computer crashing and reboting to ask for files that were missing....

I told her to pull the plug untill I got home.

When I turned on the computer after returning home after work I started to feel like I was in a "Tales of the crypt" stories (altough computer based).

The files it was claiming to be lost was from programs that hadent been on the computer for more than a year (like thunderbyte antivirus, it was discontinued a year ago) and such.

And when windows displayed it showed a login with a user name that was as old as the programs it had warned about.

But at that time I finaly concluded that "Scanreg" had its dirty fingers in this mess!

I ran scanreg from pure dos and forced it to recover a registry from the day before and everything was back to normal.

But why why why did it dig up a more than a YEAR old registry from the beginning??

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

And when windows displayed it showed a login with a user name that was as old as the programs it had warned about.
    You might want to scan it for viruses.

Comment

Strange ever so often my win98 decides it wants to delete the registry backup cabs. Why after so many years it suddenly decided to do this and then on a random basis I don't know.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Scaning for viruses was the first thing I did after getting it back up runing.

The thing thats disturbs me is that it had a saved registry from the day before it screwed up, why dident it use that?

The above question will forewer remain rethorical....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Another one to ponder is why after using drive mapper after merging a partition windows 98 was completly screwed. Restoring the registry from just before drive mapper was run didn't fix it. Everything in the device manager had gone!!
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X