Motherboard 3 pin fan headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard 3 pin fan headers?

I was wondering how much watts a such header can output without burning out?

As I am searshing for a better fan for my SK6 and I want to atach it to the moterboard header...

Thermaltake 31CFM, 28dBa, 4550rpm, 1,8W 60/25mm fan seems nice.

The one I have now is:
    Delta 60x10mm, 21.19 CFM, 29-30dBa
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I don't think I've ever heard of one burning out.

Some MB's are poorly designed, and I have heard of larger fans putting enough drain on the MB that they cause instability when the CPU power spikes.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't know the exact numbers but the delta fan (The noisy one!) comes with a warning that you should not conect it to the mobo!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

as long as the fan doesn't take anymore than 2 watts you're fine... anything higher use a 4 pin molex connector.

I learned this the hard way with one of the first mb's on the market to have such connectors and all MB's since have a 2 watt limit.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have burned up a few fan headers on various boards...

Rags

Comment

Cool, I learned something
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, it depends on the motherboard, I guess. Asus A7V133 manual clearly adress that issue:

Power supply, cpu, chassis fan connector - These connectors support cooling fans of 350 mA (4.2 watts) or less
              4.2 W, yeah

Abit manuals used to be fairly good also. DonĀ“t they have the max watts fan headers support?

Comment

i'm with you wombat
                AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Then I think I'l get one of those thermaltake fans....
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I have also burned out fan headers in my time. I think one of the boards was an old Shuttle board.

Comment

Working...
                    X