Restarting error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restarting error

I'm Chuck's nephew. On the computer we're building, we have to restart a lot when installing stuff. However, every time it restarts, it stops resonding. Windows closes normally, but we have to do a "hard reboot" to get it started again. It has a AMD 1.3 Athalon processor, ASUS A7M266 motherboard, and 3D Prophet 4500 64MB video card.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

I'm not exactly sure where the computer is stopping. Is this a software thing, or is it happening before the OS even starts to boot?

Which OS?

If it's locking up as it tries to exit windows, I've only seen this when rebuilding a computer with a HD that already has windows on it. Deltree the windows drive, do a clean install. If it's Win9x, get the Via patches.

If it's not even booting, then check the power supply. That, or are you already trying to overclock?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi, this is the real chuck

The computer boots to win98 and shuts down just fine.
      The problem comes any time you try to re-boot.
      Even when it restarts after you change a (any) bios setting,
      The computer has to be turned off and then on again.
      It realy acts like a bios problem, but there are no updates yet.
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Kind of like this?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Interesting...
          But on a re-boot the Processor doesn't power cycle does it?
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yeah, it gets reset. The difference is that all of your devices are spinning away and drawing power, unlike a cold boot.

Comment

Well, it's already like a toaster oven in there, so I don't want to up the voltage.
              I guess we'll just let him cycle the power when he needs to re-boot.
              thanks,
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

If you pencil the voltage and the CPU is unlocked, you will only boot at that high voltage for a split second, until the BIOS kicks in. That should be enough to get the machine going.

Are you using 133MHz FSB?

Comment

We just tok the cpu out of it's packaging, put it on the MB and stuck an HS&F on it.
                  No pencil involved.
                  133 FSB.
                  chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, what I was really wondering is if it is a 133MHz part?

Could it be that you've got a 100MHz FSB part? I'm sure it would be happy running at 133MHz, but you might be getting 13x133

Comment

It claims we are at 133x10.
                      I just assumed that a 1.33gig processor would be a 133 part.
                      Might it realy be 100x13.33 ?
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's possible. And most of those fast parts are unlocked by default. So, easy future overclocking

The 1.3GHz is one of the few procs that comes in both 133 and 100 variants. (marketed as the /266 and /200, repectively)

Check your receipt. It should also be marked on the processor, but it sounds like it's not important enough to bother playing with the HW.

Comment

Working...
                        X