Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning newbie question! Digital Camera???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning newbie question! Digital Camera???

I am looking to pickup a mid range digital camera.
    I have no idea how much they cost or what brands to go for or to avoid…

Anyone give me some pointers???
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I like the Sony cameras that use the rechargable camcorder type battery. It's a lot cheaper and more convenient than having to carry a pocket full of AA batteries.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well, the kicker here is quality of photos above all... you may also have a preferred method of storage, but it really doesn't matter much.

For cheap $$, the Canon Elph series can't be beat - good pictures, tiny camera.

For a little more, Sony's smaller cameras are really nice - same size as your Canon 35mm, really nice photos.

If you want floppy disks (which we did), you can go with the Sony Mavicas.

How much you want to spend?

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

depends on what you want the pics for!
        IMO consider getting not less than a 2.1 megapixel model!

Comment

The camera is not for me… It is my in-laws anniversary next month, And Andrea’s mother wants to by her father a camera,.

She doesn’t know how much to spend. but I don’t think it will be over £250.

They are looking for something to play with rather than a professional product.

Image quality and ease of use are a must. Perhaps something with firewire connectivity???

Sorry all, but I don’t know much about this sort
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

have a look at the Canon PowerShot A20 & the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P50!
            Last edited by ayoub_ibrahim; 22 September 2001, 12:47.

Comment

I concur. Unless you want TINY, in which case as I said the Elph can't be beat.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

This is the one that I recently bought. I did a lot of research and this one came out on top of the list. I can say from experience that it is a very good camera.

The new Olympus C-3000 ZOOM is a 3.34 megapixel digital camera with 15 different still image capture modes in five different image sizes (2048 x 1536, 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 1024 x 768 and 640 x 480.) It also offers QuickTime Movie capture at 15fps with sound. Sound can be recorded during video filming or a 4 second sound byte can be recorded for play with a single image. If you look at the photo above you will see five small holes just above the lens on the right, this is the microphone.
                Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

With a 64 meg card and in the 640X480 resolution you can take over 200 pictures.

It has a wireless remote as well. I thought that it would be a useless feature, but I quickly realized that it is very valuable. I hook the camera up to a TV so that we can see it and then we can pose for family photos with everyone in the picture.

(No rude comments please )
                Last edited by Pneumatic; 22 September 2001, 17:15.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Cheers all! I have passed the info on.
                  You have made her day.

All have a pint on me.

Comment

Another camera you may want to consider is the Fuji Finepix 1400z. Has a nice hardware zoom. Runs about $250 here in the states. Only 1.3megapix. I think the pics are really nice.

amish
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Thanks! I'll pass it on!

Comment

Paddy, check out

www.digital-cameras.com for good prices.

Tony.
                        FT.

Comment

Hey Paddy,

You don't always need the high megapixels. I have the Olympus 960 Zoom which cost me a little over £200 6 months or so back and it's only 1.3megapixel, but it has a proper (optical) 3X zoom.

See the attached picture as an example photo I took over the weekend when I was in Wales.

<A HREF="http://www.steve-cooper.co.uk/images/bee.jpg">Picture</A>

Comment

Working...
                          X