Graphical corruption in Alice/memory tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphical corruption in Alice/memory tweaks

I am a newbie to Matrox and have a G400 MAX.

Does anybody else experience that graphical corruption in Alice, particularly when she is standing in one of those 'outdoor' platforms with the whirling skies overhead? I believe it's because the QuakeIII engine is too much for the card, because I notice it for a second or two in QuakeIII when the fighting gets particularly intense.

I have one of those 2X AGP cards where I have to force 1X or nothing 3D will work.

I am trying to run the game at 1024x768x16, with everything set to high, on my 800 TB.

Would tweaking the memory, both in the BIOS and on the card, help? What are the optimal settings in the BIOS and in MGA Tweak?

Search this forum. I think they developed a patch for the game to fix this.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks, I found the patch and the info on editing the config file. I'll try it tonight.

I also read the thread below on graphical corruption. I am using the 6.51 drivers and I might try the 6.22s and 6.71s to see if it helps with QuakeIII.

Comment

Found out something interesting. The Alice patch by EA and changing the seta array setting to 1 from 0 did not work. The corruption got worse going from 16 to 32 bit, and went away completely at 800x600. I was running the 6.51 drivers.

I switched to the 6.22s and all the corruption went away completely, no matter what the resolution, but the game felt damn slow. Did the QuakeIII 1.27 demo and lost 25% of my frame rates! Went from 42 fps with the 6.51 to 30 fps with the 6.22s. Obviously the latter favor stability over speed.

I tried the 6.71 Betas and got the same problem as the 6.51. Doesn't seem to bench any faster, but I'm leaving it in anyway. The corruption only occurs on outdoor sequences in Alice and I can play those on the Voodoo5 in my PCI slot anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X