WIN2K reboots !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN2K reboots !?

My system just goes for a reboot after a BSOD a few too many times ... I have re-installed win2k about 3 weeks ago it's happening since... i am told the main culprit is the RAM... could it be ???
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Possibly. Go to My computer -> system properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery and disable "automatically reboot".

So next time you can see what error is it and the system file implied.

Comment

You a glutton for punishment, or what?

I see you still running that 800 Piii at 133 on a 440 BX chipset?.

Take the advise from the other hw gurus around here - get rid of it, and chances are your hassles will go away pronto .
      Lawrence

Comment

Lvr the BX is one of the most stable motherboards around. What do you suggest a via based board instead? Get real.
        Anyway the problem is most likely to be the ram or a badly written driver. If you got more than one stick of ram take it out and run on one for a bit. Check that you've got the latest drivers installed and sp2.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The Pit

Not what I meant at all - I agree with the 440BX most likely being the best chipset to date.

From here :

see the posts by Maggi and others pointing to the fact that the AGP bus is most likely overclocked with the fixed multiplier of the board when running at 133 FSB.

Various other threads detailing crashes and sw that refuses to run/install by dizzynoodle would also tend to indicate the same.

Either cpu or board needs to bechanged by the sounds of it - dizzynoodle has not tried either but has made mention of a P3BF being available though.
          Lawrence

Comment

LVR,

The problem is i don't have access to anther board yet... I can't afford to re-do my system... i'm doing work everyday [short time deadlines!] I was thinking of just getting the Cusl2-c ...whatcha think?

But i am told the RAM culd be causing it... maybe it is ... since the ram is 133.

The error is remember says somtning about a : Bad Pool check or something. On a BSOD that is.
            Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
            Marvel G200 TV
            Creative Infra48 CD ROM
            Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
            Firewire card
            Mini USB hub
            8 port Compex 10/100 hub
            Sandisk Reader - USB
            Cordless Logitec Mouse
            Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
            HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

hopefully this may assist you in your troubleshooting!

Comment

I recently have added 1GB of RAM (4 133Mhz CAS2 sticks) to my P3-700@933 on BX system. However, my system became very unstable after doing so, and I've tried to find the cause of it:

it seems that my BX mobo is only stable up to 133Mhz with 1 DIMM, and the more DIMMs I add, the more I have to lower my FSB to retain stability. I've tested my config with memtest86, from www.memtest86.com (the program will make a bootdisk with the program on it for you).

I'm now trying to figure out if my mobo just has a 'bad' RAM interface (bad as in not very stable at out-of-range speeds ), or of the cause is something else.... so I'm after a P3B-F right now.

P.S. if you run that memtest program, try only test #5 at first, and if that doesn't give any errors try the full scale of tests

Comment

Dizzynoodle

Sorry, but I am not following your last statement :

"The problem is i don't have access to anther board yet... I can't afford to re-do my system... i'm doing work everyday [short time deadlines!] I was thinking of just getting the Cusl2-c ...whatcha think? "

The CUSL2 is a 815 based board and therefore you are screwed as far as your ISA hw goes. Changing chipsets on mission critical systems is a guaranteed way to get yourself into way deeper water with W2K, so I would say it is a bad idea if minimum downtime is going to be your main concern. What happened to the P3BF you mentioned elsewhere?

Even so, the CUSL2 seems to be a nice board - lots of people are reporting good experiences with it both here and elsewhere. It will take your current CPU and ram and should be happy with it while running W2K - note that it is limited to 512M ram though.

Maybe there are some of the more seasoned overclockers around that can give you a more considered answer if you can supply the exact P2BF mobo revision# and serial# as well as the current Bios version you are running on.

If you are still stuck after following the advice offered by ayoub_ibrahim,dZeus,Nuno and The pit above , can you then list the details of all the actions/tests you have performed in order to track down the problem, as well as the reasoning behind any changes.

I have previously suggested you pull all the hw, build a basic running mobo with display card and then only once all is stable, proceed to add hw and drivers ONE AT A TIME - did you do that?

Last edited by LvR; 21 September 2001, 07:14.
                  Lawrence

Comment

dizzy,

Which part of "de-overclock your board" is eluding you?

Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick!

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Lawrence

Comment

I mean seriously...

How many problems do you have to have before you're willing to consider that maybe you should turn the clock back to where it's supposed to be and see if that helps? Hmm?

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Lawrence

Comment

Are you runing ZoneAlarm or any proxyserver software? My w2k pro (not A.S.)did the same thing to me when I had the software installed!
                            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

GURM, Thanx for helping out in the past... just chill out for now !

LVR & others; I have followed you suggestion added one card at a time... everything runs great ... no problems... execpt for this occassional crash and reboot ! The P3B-F is sitting in another machine, so i may consider using it... i just though for downtime's sake and since it's also a BX board... i may aswell just get a real 133 board and stay away from OCing [for a while!] The bummer would be as u said the ISA issue... maybe stick the device [E6 scanner-amazing] on the other machine... I'll take a look at the help offered by all you guys and see if it works out... i just d/l memtest will try it soon. Also Ayoub's link seem to have hit the error name on the head... now i need to understand what the document says and means!!! No idea in the first reading ! Any ideas there !?

I have installed SP2... i can't say it's not one of the drivers, but most used to run fine as far as i can remember before the mini-upgrade ! I'll look into that aswell... Thanx Guys

No proxy servers running.
                              Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
                              Marvel G200 TV
                              Creative Infra48 CD ROM
                              Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
                              Firewire card