Tom burns some CPUs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom burns some CPUs!

CPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

Before

After

This test again shows the bether quality of the Intel CPUs!

BTW I also had a 1.4GHz T-bird die on me last week! 10 seconds after I booted up the comp the cpu blew in 2 halves!

EDIT: Make sure to d/load the video!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Good old Tom has finally gone mad. Both AMD and Intel are trying to bribe him with so many CPU's he can afford to burn them.

I wonder when is he going to start burning nvidia's cards, too...
    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

What you use for thermal paste?

Nitroglycerin?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Looks like Tom can't put reality into words, so now he's trying to compete with the peeps over on [H]ocp (what a waste of bandwidth!)
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          What you use for thermal paste?

Nitroglycerin?
          ME? Arcticsilver II; HS Tiger PDA38120BC (Papst-Fan)! And a copper shimm! Normal runing temp of the CPU was under 40C! It just blew up on me and split in two halves!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Ok, ok, everyone already figured out that Tom´s bias is back. That review is just plain stupid on a couple of aspects:

It was stupid to include a Thunderbird on it. It was merely to show up one more AMD cpu burning. The Thunderbird doesn´t have a thermal diode, everyone and his dog know it, so again everyone with a IQ above 40 figures what will happen if you try to run one without an heatsink. Of course it will get hot and hot until it burns. Gee, I wonder what happens if you smash the cpu with a hammer...

Running a cpu without an heatsink isn´t something that happens frequently. Without a fan, yes, fan can fail (and do often), but I never heard of an heatsink merely popping up. Maybe 5% of computer users ever looked at on heatsink at all... It can happen if the heatsink is not properly seated from the beggining, but usually that would happen at the OEM´s manufacturing line.

But fortunatly it shows 2 good points

It´s impressive that a PIV can run at all without an heatsink. Thumbs up at Intel for that. Namely for the sake of data integrety. It wouldn´t be that bad if it happened on Q3 but imagine you´re working with a dtabase or something lke that.

It´s sad that AMD has not been able to implement a thermal diode as well as Intel did. I do believe it would work correctly if only the fan failed (giving enough time for the cpu to shut down), but if they were doing it, al least they could have done it the right way... It´s a big step up from the thunderbird, but I think if a cpu has a thermal diode it´s embarassing that it could die from overheating, despite those highly unlikly circunstances.

Comment

Heatsinks popping off are unlikely, but mismounting them is something I've seen happen way too often. (Even the "pros" at HardOCP suffered the fate) AMD users should check and double-check mounting anytime they touch the heatsink/cpu.

Comment

Ditto Nuno!

Iso, just ask Wombat about his HS popping off when shipped... Oh wait he can't respond... his murc account is awry... let me ask...
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

"what happened is that somehow a DIP switch on my Greebe Special K7 Controller got knocked to an indeterminate state. Took a while to find it."

Other than that there was no damage luckily (just some minor scratches on the case interior)

Comment

Wow, that's some pretty damn effective intel propoganda. I mean, I know most of my s hit and I feel more much likely to buy a P4. But with my budget, I'll still be waiting for that AthlonXP of course.

But show that video to somebody who doesn't know all too much, and they'll start swearing by P4's.

Anywaz, in the end, this video only made me more likely to buy a Swiftech MC462 or Alpha 8045 instead of a SK6.
                    Primary system specs:
                    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Anywaz, in the end, this video only made me more likely to buy a Swiftech MC462 or Alpha 8045 instead of a SK6.
                      Which are only slightly better than a SK6

Comment

Mike, you still don't glue your heatsinks to the CPU's using Spearmint or another very sticky kind of chewinggum?

Or try small bungee cords... It jumps up and bounces down when the elastic is used

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Heatsinks popping off are unlikely, but mismounting them is something I've seen happen way too often. (Even the "pros" at HardOCP suffered the fate) AMD users should check and double-check mounting anytime they touch the heatsink/cpu.
                          Definitly. Don´t get me wrong, I think the lack of thermal probe and heatsink mounting is one of the biggest drawbacks of AMD cpu´s. Yes its a pain to get some heatsinks mounted, you have cold sweats when you´re using a screwdriver on it and when you turn the PC on you cross fingers.

The point I was trying to make is how many computer buyers/users ever mounted a heatsink? Very very few. C´mon, when the average Joe User feels the urge to upgrade he just dump the computer at the shop and says "I want a faster cpu".

Tom wrote that suff giving the average user the impression that his AMD system is at constant danger of the heatsink popping up. And that´s just plain false. But after many people read that article, if they´re after a new PC I´m seing them at the store "No sir, I don´t want AMD as I´m aware that the heatsinks pop up easily and they burn".
                          Last edited by Nuno; 20 September 2001, 06:51.

Comment

Jord, I don't use thermal epoxy on cpu's, but at least on my Athlon system the HS is mounted using 18ga solid copper "magnet" wire... ie it's not coming off.

Of course this was neccessary as the Zallman CNPS3100G isn't designed to work with non socket cpu's... but you know me, if there is a will there is a way!

Comment

It looks like Tom is finally ready for a daily regimen of Thorazine

I just use some good thermal paste and a Golden Orb cooler. My CPU temps are very low (mostly PIII though).

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X