Palomino (Athlon 4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palomino (Athlon 4)

Has anyone found out when the Palomino is comming out and at what speeds? I am waiting to build and can't find any projections anywhere (not even on www.AMD.com )

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Smokin! http://www12.tomshardware.com/images...PU_Cooling.zip

Comment

Hmm.. I'd rather say I have a 1.4 GHz palamino than a Intel compatible speed. Brings to mind, what happened to Cyrix. They had the intel rated speeds for their chips..given Cyrix PR200, ppl would rather buy Intel 200MHz than the cyrix chips for it is not the actual speed of the processor. Any clock speed program will identify the palamino at etc, 1400MHz when it is rated at 1700MHz wouldnt that make ppl feel cheated by AMD, imagine the rep of AMD, it would go down and we would lose a good chip maker (worst case scenario).
        AND by rating the chip speeds on Intel, AMD gives the image that AMD chips are as good as Intel. It should be the other way round as AMD chips are BETTER than Intel chips at the same clock speed.
        Is Intel marketing its chips saying their 1.7GHz is equal to XXX company's 2GHz?
        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Since when did we take The Register seriously ????

I wont believe it untill I see It with My own eyes....
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

New AMD processors (Athlon XP)

12. october is the date my Norwegian importer of AMD chips said to me today! They will release an 1,533Ghz version of the "desktop palamino" and the official name will be:

AMD Athlon XP (xxxx+)

You can fill in the "model numer" in xxxx, My source also teled me that they will take the "palamino" core to 1.8Ghz in december, then the 0,13micron version (Thorougbread) will take over. My source says the Thoroughbread core will have 512Kb cache....

Comment

Hope your source is right. A thoroughbread Athlon with 2GHz and 512 KB Cache definitely would be nice. Not to speak about an SMP system...
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

People didn´t buy Cyrix because of the PR rating, they wouldn´t buy Cyrix because it performed awfully on fpu apps. And they did feel cheated for that. If Cyrix PR200+ was so fast on fpu as it was on integer (where it did actually beat a pentium 200) people wouldn´t care less if it actually ran at 150 Mhz...

That´s the same for AthlonXP. I don´t think people will feel cheated at all if it actually performs equally or better than a PIV on every aspect.

But actually I think that looking at those Register numbers (if they´re true) that AMD isn´t actually rating the XP for a PIV performance index but for the old Thunderbird... that would be actually much more fair. Let´s see, a 1.400GHz 1600+ ? Don´t you think a Palomino 1400 could perform the same as a Thunderbird 1600? and a 1.333GHz equals to a Tb 1500+? If all the PIV 2Ghz reviews are showing a *Thunderbird* 1400 right on the PIV tail (5-10% difference) it seems to me that a Palomino 1400 with a KT266A could easily match a PIV 2Ghz. A 1.600GHz 1900+ ? No way. If the Palomino scales well enough, a 1.6Ghz could be a nice match even for a Northwood 2.2....

Comment

What's an Athlon MP?

I thought the Athlon MP's were the Athlon 4's...
                  Last edited by TheDarkHorizon; 19 September 2001, 20:11.
                  AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                  Asus K7V Motherboard
                  384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                  20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
                  30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
                  Generic DVD-ROM
                  IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                  SB Live Value
                  Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
                  SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
                  3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
                  Windows ME
                  6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

Athlon MP is the newer Palomino core Athlon, with SSE, some prefetch routines, and other more general refinements. It is the same as Athlon4 and AthlonXP, basically, except MP is targeted for dual systems, 4 is for mobile, and XP is for uniprocessor desktop systems. I know. Don't ask me why they are doing this. It would be a marketing department's nightmare if they actually had a marketing department.

Folks on the AMD board at Motley Fool have been reporting the same date as Raptor has, but this is the first I've heard of the 512k cache. Got any other sources for that, Raptor? Sounds like it would be pretty sweet. I knew the PIV was going to 512k once it got onto the .13 die, but the Thoroughbred also having it is news to me.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      Athlon MP is the newer Palomino...

According to that roadmap (from AMD), MP is not a palomino...
                      AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                      Asus K7V Motherboard
                      384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                      20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
                      30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
                      Generic DVD-ROM
                      IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                      SB Live Value
                      Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
                      SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
                      3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
                      Windows ME
                      6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

According to that roadmap (from AMD), MP is not a palomino...
                        How do you figure that TDH? MP came out earlier, which is why it occupies that space. The spot where Thunderbird goes to Palomino (as yet unnamed when that roadmap came out) is for single processor desktop. The MP is a Palomino, and so is the Athlon4. If you must go by that roadmap, notice how the Tbird is blue as contrasted to the Pally's purple? I could dig out some documentation for you but I'm way too lazy to bother right now. I know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Found some evidence for you.. from Tom's Hardware Guide:

Just like AMD's mobile Athlon4 processors, AthlonMP is based on AMD's new 'Palomino'-core, which will also be used in the upcoming AthlonXP processor.
                        Last edited by KvHagedorn; 19 September 2001, 23:17.

Comment

an athlon MP is a palmino "certified" to work "properly/optimally" in SMP configurations by AMD.
                          They are pretty much the same chip tho.

BUT as we all know, most durons/athlons will work in SMP anyway(palminos work better tho).

I don't think I would pay much more for a MP than a "generic" palmino, unless(maybe) it was in a server that had to run 24/7

Comment

......the 1.33GHz CPU will have a model number of 1500+, to suggest that it has an Intel-equivalent clock speed of 1.5GHz.
                            I don't understand this so excuse me if this is a stupid question. I thought clocks speeds were a constant, measurable thing. How can a 1.33 GHz be "equivalent" to a 1.5 GHz?

Doesn't that MAKE it a 1.5 GHz?

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

How can a 1.33 GHz be "equivalent" to a 1.5 GHz?
                              AMD's 1.33gHz chip will actually out perform a Intel P4 @ 1.5gHz.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X