Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice of SMP Sale!

Folks,

Since nobody actually GOES to the "Happy Shopper" forum, I figured I'd announce it here... my SMP rig is officially for sale. To learn more, go to the Happy Shopper forum, and then e-mail me!

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

(I'm not interested in purchasing it)

Are you selling it because of the instability problems with audio cards and SMP setups?

If so, this very well may be the solution: http://www.stereo-link.com

I have the unit on my desk now and tinkering with it. Unfortunately, I don't have an SMP system to test stability... I'm under the assumption that there should be no problems since the device works without any sound drivers.

Comment

One thing I found interesting were these devices around all the wires (except power):

Comment

Isochar,

Those devices are de-ferroting (sp?) coils, or rings. They make sure you get no magnetic interference or crosstalk. Low-tech solution to a high-tech problem... big hunks of iron.

Anyway, how does this device do with directsound, and whatnot? Games? I don't REALLY care about 3D sound, but environmental audio is nice, etc. etc.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

So the SMP/Audio Card problems are the reason for your sale?

The directsound works well in everything. I haven't noticed any stutters in audio playback at the desktop even with heavy file swapping. Ditto for Starcraft and Unreal Tournament. (Only games on my system) Haven't tried any Environmental Audio playback.

As far as the sound quality, I can't hear the difference between the Stereolink and an Audigy. (PS. there is definately an audible difference between the Live! and the Stereolink.) Next in line is a test using my Sennheiser HD600s, once I figure out why the headphone out on the Stereolink doesn't work...
          Last edited by isochar; 18 September 2001, 16:48.

Comment

Does anyone know the exact name of these lead "filters"? I'm probably just going to stick with the audigy and buy these. (Much cheaper)

Comment

Well, if you're gonna stick with the audigy... send that stereolink this way!

Seriously though, there are other reasons for my sale. Audio is one big one, considering that I have a surround-sound speaker system devoted exclusively to the PC... but there are others.

Lots of stuff just DOESN'T WORK in SMP.

Sony stuff, in particular. Pain in the rear end.

Plus every time I put in a new piece of hardware, I can GUARANTEE that it won't work with SMP out of the box. Pretty terrible, if you ask me. But that's the way it is.

- Gurm

P.S. Go to Radio Shack and ask for deferriting (sp?) rings. They'll know what they are.

Comment

Radio Shack, you've got questions, we've got blank stares.

Rags

Comment

Stereo-link has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can buy it and try it out for 2 weeks. (I'm not sure if they'll refund shipping, but $8 bucks is a small investment if it's something that you may like)

I did call Radio Shack, but the individuals there were "uninformed". They transferred me to the tech-savy department which was closed.

Comment

They are typically called EMI supression cores... they are made of ferrite
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Gurm, they are not "big hunks of iron". they are made of ferrite... same stuff that AM radio antenna cores are made from and are not attracted to magnetic fields
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Comment

Ferrite, Iron... same element, different alignment.

- Gurm

Comment

Bullshit... but I am way to tired at the moment to pull your head out, so I'll jump back in your shit in the morning
                            Last edited by Greebe; 18 September 2001, 20:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Ferrite, Iron... same element, different alignment.

- Gurm
                              Not true, unless you are referring to ferrite magnets, in this case they are iron oxide and boron.

But the ferrite suppressors are not made of soley iron oside, most are made of oxides of manganese and other elements, usually zinc.

Rags
                              Last edited by Rags; 18 September 2001, 20:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X