Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which mobile vid chip better: ATI or S3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which mobile vid chip better: ATI or S3?

The ones to compare are:
    16 MB SGRAM ATI Rage Mobility 128 2X AGP
    vs.
    8MB SGRAM S3® Savage IX8+ 2X AGP

Now the ATI one comes with a 15" UXGA 1600x1200 TFT display, while the S3 comes with 14.1" XGA 1024x768 TFT display. I would think the ATI would be better, and the 1600 display is much more appealing (since I run 1600 at home too).

But the main thing I'm wondering, is how well do these cards perform when piped out to a normal monitor??? Any opinions?

Thanks,
    b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Anybody?

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

ATI.

ATI.

ATI.

Did I mention that S3 sucks?

ATI.

Seriously though, neither one is a world-class gaming solution, but at least games will RUN on a Rage128 (Pro?).

And for portable DVD playback, you can't beat Rage.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

But how about their support for external CRT/any other display methods?

I didn't find any helpful technical information on ATI's web site about res/refresh capabilities.

b

Comment

Works fine on Eizos 21"!!!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Didn't have a problem with my RageMobility equipped notebook, neither using the built-in TFT nor when using the TVOut nor whith my Iiyama 22" CRT. 2D quality is acceptable, at least better than what any TNT would give.

Of course 3D games look a bit crappy with the Rage128 (or it's mobility variants) but that's still better than the S3. And the S3 only has 8MB which is quite a drawback when things like 3D or Overlays are involved in 32Bit.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
            X