MSP 6.5 first impressions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP 6.5 first impressions.

I just got the MSP 6.5 update last night, and my first impressions are I'm not impressed. I resent having to pay for what are essentially bug fixes. The much ballyhooed "Instant Preview" doesn't impress at first glance, although I'm hoping it offers a fix for MSP's inability to effectively work with "stacked" filters. There is no 6.5 manual, but another copy of 6.0 manual (I bought an upgrade so they should know I have it already) and a couple of pretty sparse inserts on the 6.5 features and DVD plug-in. I'm hopeing the DVD plug-in is good enough so I don't feel I wasted $100.

There is blurb about a new "trim clips from cues" in the Source Window feature. I haven't had time to play with it, but assuming the sparse description of what it does hasn't led to wishful thinking on my part, this may make the update worthwile for the way I like to work.

Still doesn't seem to be able to import a DV type 2 file exported from Premiere6 without a much slower than real time conversion or render of some sort. Premiere6 can't use a DV type 1 file form MSP without an even slower conversion. I really don't understand what is going on here. Sonic Foundry seems to have this right, as I can mix clips from Premiere and MSP on its timeline without things bogging down.

--wally.

Hi,

Give it a bit more time. It's a pretty good product. I'm having my problems with it, but like it.

Comment

Wally,

Trim from cues is a VERY nice feature. First put the souce clip in the Storyboard and doubleclick it to get it in the Source window. Now scroll through the Source window and press F5 where you want a cut done. You can manage the cues using the Clip Cue Manager (drop menu on Source window).

After you set all the cues select "cut by cue" and it'll slice the single clip into as many pieces as you defined. Use the Storyboards "Add to A/B Roll" function to place them on the timeline complete with overlaps or cut transitions.

Using DV scene cuts can be done during capture or on the timeline. In either case this cuts on the start-stop markers placed in the clip by the camcorder.

As far as the DV importation goes try using field order B.

Have you read the freebie 6.5 tutorial supplement by Active Service yet?

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have found MSP 6.5 to be a good prgression, some of the things should have been fixed in MSP6.0, however it's easy to use with loads of hidden depths.

The Richard Jones free tutorial is a good lead in.

John Price

Comment

Doc,

Are you saying Premiere6 feild order A == MSP6 feild order B?

Or should I reverse the feild order in Premiere when I export the DV file?

These clips were captured in premiere, so shouldn't they have the native field order of my camcorder? But the exported video also can't be sent to the camcorder with the Vegas Video capture tool leading me to think something is wrong with what Premiere is creating.

I'd like to straighten out this mess, if possible, since doing some things in Premiere before adding them to an MSP project would sometimes be a major help, but as it is now this just isn't practical.

"Cut by cue" in the source window sounds like what I've been looking for, hopefully I'll have some time to really work with it this weekend and my initial impressions will prove incorrect.

--wally.

Comment

wally--

I have a DVRaptor. For Premiere, the Canopus codec is set for lower field (field B). For MSP, it's set for field A. This makes no sense to me since I thought the preferred field order would be universal across different applications. Maybe someone else can explain this?

Comment

In Premiere "lower field first" is field order A. Don't ask.

Now...as for using Premiere's DV type 2 files in 6.5;

If you select the default DV preset in MSPro 6.5 you're using DV type 1 and the DVAudio codec. DV type 2 uses PCM audio. IF you load Premiere's type 2 files into the MSPro DV type 1 preset the PCM audio has to render to DVAudio before you can play them.

With my RT-2000/Premiere 6 I have two files saved to the disk during captures: a DV type 2 video file and a PCM *.wav.

When I load these into MSPro 6.5 with a DV type 2/PCM project setting it takes about 1 second/minute for MSPro 6.5 to synch the audio and video in a preview file then I'm all set.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 September 2001, 07:42.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Terry

I agree

Field 1 = Lower Field = Field A = DV

Some more info I've collected at

No guarantees it's correct
                It works for me

John Price

Comment

Working...
                X