Anyone else noticed this ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else noticed this ???

Using the new drivers for win2k I've now got two entries for the Matrox g500 under display adaptors.
    A plain G550 and G550 with dualhead.
    At first I thought the driver installtion had screwed up so I uninstalled completly and then re-installed and the two entries came back.
    If you go under Hardware wizard only one is listed. Everything works okay I'm just a bit surprised thats all.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Hasn't the W2K drivers always had that effect with DH cards?!
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

True DH under Win2K started this, before there was only one listing.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The old drivers which came with the card didn't they just listed one. Since I wasn't having any problems I wasn't too worried.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          The old drivers which came with the card didn't they just listed one. Since I wasn't having any problems I wasn't too worried.
          Isn't that what Greebe just said?

Rags

Comment

Nope he was referring to dh under win2k always doing this. The drivers that came with the card just added one entry. When I went to the new version I suddenly had two entries.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              Nope he was referring to dh under win2k always doing this. The drivers that came with the card just added one entry. When I went to the new version I suddenly had two entries.
              *sigh* He didn't say that. He said TRUE DualHead. Only recently has win2k had this.....you do know there is a difference in the dualhead modes available between the shipping cd version and the ones you installed, right?

Rags

Comment

Pit,
                It is the same with g400 DH under win2k.
                For better implementation of dual monitor support the latest win2k/drivers treats the DH card as two separate cards, that is why you see two instances of your card. One as Matrox Gxxx DH (main display) and the other as Matrox Milleniumn GxxxX DH(secondary display).

This is what the others are trying to say. I am just saying it in another way. I'm sure there is some technical explaination somewhere.
                Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

But the orginal drivers I used for the G550 which came with it just installed a single entry. So ether they didn't install properly, however dualhead worked when I tried it or they've altered the g550 drivers in the last release.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I think I should reply sooner than the folks you probably are pulling the blood from under their nails, or whatever the correct saying is in English

I'll explain:
                    Every one-chip videocard that has 2 display connectors for "dualhead" has to face the limitation of Windows 2000: Windows can't enumerate 1 chip for 2 displays. Therefore in the beginning the G4XX could only use the second display as a stretched desktop, and not for clone, zoom nor DVDMax.
                    Matrox was the first, and still is the only one, who managed to come up with an approach to fake a second display adapter and redirect it to the second head. That way the G4XX can display 2 desktops with different resolution and color settings.
                    So originally the card came with normal drivers with only stretched desktop possibility, and after a "few" months, Matrox driver department unveiled the new driver.
                    So for Windows 2000 to have two seperate desktops, it needs to enumerate 2 display drivers in stead of the single chip. There comes the need for the fake second display adapter.

I hope this clears the fog for you
                    Peter Aragon
                    Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

update:

I took time to read your reply properly
                      The reason you probably didn't have the second fake display adapter the first time, is that during installation you get a question whether to install the TRUE dualhead option (and TRUE dualhead solution requires the fake display)

Hope this clears it up

Peter
                      Peter Aragon
                      Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Aragon
                        <cut>
                        Therefore in the beginning the G4XX could only use the second display as a stretched desktop, and not for clone, zoom nor DVDMax.
                        <cut>
                        correction: the 'true' dualhead support of PowerDesk allows only the use of 2 seperate desktops in multi-display mode, in stead of a stretched desktop as in previous powerdesk drivers. DVD-MAX, zoom en clone all worked before the release of the true dualhead drivers, since windows doesn't need to know anything about the secondary output on the G400 to make those functions possible

Comment

Working...
                        X