Suggestions for MPEG Encoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for MPEG Encoder

I would appreciate some suggestions for a good, reliable MPEG encoder either in hardware or software. I currently have the Ligos LSX-MPEG 3.5 encoder but caused quite a few system lockups on my system which only a power cycle can get out of. Ulead MediaStudio 6.5, since it uses MPEG encoders from Ligos, also has exactly the same problem.

I can render AVI files just fine; good quality, reasonable speed, etc. But only very occassionaly can I successfully render either an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 file. So far, Ligos tech support has been very unhelpful, simply saying that this is usually a problem with "low memory". Their suggestion of using a burn in utility to "isolate the problem" was useless since the only thing that fails on my system is their encoder.

I've looked at other common encoders such as TMPGenc, but they are extremely slow. So I would definately appreciate any suggestions on a good, reliable, reasonably speedy MPEG encoder that I can use to convert AVI (MPEG-4) files to MPEG with.

Thanks!

Karen
    Intel Pentium 4-478 @ 2.0 GHz
    Gigabyte 8ITXR mainboard
    512 MB 400 MHz RAMBUS memory
    2xMaxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM in IDE
    2xMaxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM in RAID-0
    Matrox G450-eTV
    Win98SE & Win XP Pro
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC
    Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-RAM/R
    Canopus ADVC-100

If you're having that kind of problem with the Ligos encoder then there's a fundamental problem in your Windows installation.

That said the TMPGEnc encoder is a very good standalone encoder, but you have to update it monthly. This is because they can only provide a 30 day license for the MPEG-2 module in a shareware product.

TMPGEnc,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Dr. Mordrid,

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, I realize that there may be something wrong with my system, but unfortunately the "low memory" and "run burn-in" suggestions from Ligos are not very helpful in finding the problem so I can fix it. That is why I am looking for another solution for MPEG encoding.

Karen
      Gigabyte 8ITXR mainboard
      Matrox G450-eTV
      Win98SE & Win XP Pro
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
      Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC
      Canopus ADVC-100

Comment

try CineplayerDVR 2.51.....

These guides describes how to convert a video to DVD, VCD, SVCD, CVD or AVI,DivX,Xvid, ASF and more.

"OO"
        Last edited by Luco; 17 September 2001, 07:39.
        celeron 1.4ghz tualatin/Slot-T adapter/AX6BC/Matrox G-200 Marvel16mo/320Rams-133@100/SBLive oem/DR-CDrw 16X/Matsuhita cd-rom 32x/Raceleader FF wheel/WD Caviar 40G 7200 X 2 +Fuji 11G 5400 HDS/ Q71/Win98 top notch/DX9.0a/DSL/and faith in a good pc setup...

Comment

Low memory?

Have you moved your temp and preview files off the boot drive and onto the capture drive? That'll cause low memory errors in MSPro and other programs.

MSPro has settings to do this in File/Preferences on the General and Preview tabs. To move 'em off the boot drive for other programs add this to your autoexec.bat file;

SET TEMP=D:\TEMP
          SET TMP=D:\TEMP

where D is your video drive and TEMP is a folder you create in the root of the video drive.

The way it works is that many programs generate temp files large enough to fill the boot drive. If this happens you get a memory error because the swapfile can't grow large enough.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yes, low memory! As I said, that isn't very helpful.

I just moved the MSP temp file to another drive and will rerun a render and see what happens. In the meantime, I tried the LSX-MPEG encoder and it froze in less than a minute.

I find it sort of strnage that the *only* thing I have problems with is the stuff from Ligos. Weird!

Karen
            Gigabyte 8ITXR mainboard
            Matrox G450-eTV
            Win98SE & Win XP Pro
            Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
            Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC
            Canopus ADVC-100

Comment

That makes it sound even more like an OS configuration problem. That or a conflict with another piece of software.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X