The Soap Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soap Box

I closed down the Soap Box forum a couple of days ago as I believed things were getting out of hand. An obscene tragedy occurred in New York on Tuesday which has left any sane person shocked and bewildered. There was naturally enough a large amount of discussion taking place but I felt things were taking an unpleasant turn from various angles with messages being posted promoting racial hatred.

What happened, I feel, is not just an attack upon American or the West or the free world but as with any terrorist attack it is an attack upon the human race as a whole. We as a race, not just as a single country or coalition of countries must come together to eradicate terrorism but this must be done with great thought, we must not be rushed into striking back indiscriminately as this will just cause us to do what the terrorists want and will run the risk of not crushing terrorism but helping to cultivate it. This indeed is a whole new form of warfare that has been unleashed, maybe being a European where many of us have grown up with terrorism on our doorstep we find this easier to understand than the peoples of the US where this is new to them. What we must not do is see this as an act of war by a particular country, race or religion. This is indeed an act of war but by a minority group of people, we cannot tar all peoples with the same brush. Terrorism is only going to be defeated by the peoples of the World being brought closer together so we can all act together, it is not going to be done by our coalition simply imposing its military might wherever it wants.

If something good can come out of this then it must be that the peoples of the World are brought closer together and these minority terrorist groups are eradicated. Those are my views, maybe they are a little too simplistic in the face of such huge complex issues but that is how I feel.

Hopefully by giving the Soap Box a break people may have had a little time to calm somewhat. I am quite open to have these issues discussed here despite being attacked from various angles for supposedly denying people their freedom of speech. If you are going to discuss these issues all I ask is that you think before you post, you try and maintain a thoughtful and adult level of discussion, and under no circumstances resort to espousing racial hatred. I will carefully monitor any threads and I will close these threads down if I feel they are in danger of getting out of hand, I will delete posts if I feel the person is posting words of hatred whatever their viewpoint. I will not tolerate people baiting others to try and get a response from them. I feel my requests are quite reasonable but you may disagree with them, if you do all I ask is that you take your views and discussions elsewhere, if you don’t and you want to tell me where I can stick my site then that is your right but you will no longer be welcome to participate in these forums.

The MURC has been a success because of the sense of community that has developed here despite the broad range of nationalities and views we have here, that is something I wish to preserve and will take action to do so.

Sine i wasnt able to use the internet all week, i was kind of shocked to see the soap box closed, at first i thought the lock only referred to the last post in it.

first my condolences to everyone who was involved directly or indirectly (so just about everyone), i was lucky enough not to know anyone in the building, although a friend of my host-mother in the US probably lost her husband.

I hope america will act wisely, and i hope we wont have to go to war.

i hope everyone makes the best of this, as far as that is possible.

I hope this tragedy helps everyone to learn and try to make the world a better place.

In Bielefeld someone put up a poster saying: "World, please stop, i want to get off", and I feel like that a little.

Terrorism like this is even sicker than war, and i hope that this attack wont set a new standard.

And i hope that this wont divide the worlds population, what we need is the exact opposite of a divided world.

Comment

thank you for your cool head ant
      i feel we were all getting a bit caught up with emotions understandably high.
      i hope this break has given us all, including myself, the opportunity to calm down and be able to discuss this matter or express our viewpoints without falling out with one another.
      after all up until last week none of us had really fallen out seriously so i hope we can all remain in a freindly atmosphere in these forums.
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Ant,
        Well said and well done.
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks, (for opening again) I was begining to get withdraval efects...
          Last edited by Technoid; 16 September 2001, 12:58.
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I think Ant did the right thing!

Things were geting a little out of hand...

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
              I think Ant did the right thing!

Things were geting a little out of hand...
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

"World, please stop, I want to get off", and I feel like that a little.

If a friendly Alien came down I think I'd take a trip with them.

I think a cooling of period was for the best.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

That is what happens when pain and indiscriminant anger and rightous indignation are allowed to prevail over human decency.

Respectfully,
                  Charles
                  System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

No that is what happens when people are scared. And rightfully so. This same thing is happening all over the world except that it is againist Americans instead.

These terrorist want us to be scared because it will cause us not to trust each other thus being unable to band together to fight this evil. But some how we have got to band together anyway.

And as the Muslims say. 'Don't judge all of us based on the actions of a few extermist.'.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                    X