WinXP 2D driver performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP 2D driver performance

Zorba from Ars posted this comparison of 2D graphic card performance in Windows XP. Thought you guys might be interested.

[re: XPBench 2D benchmarking tool[/url]]

After scanning through their results database, it appears that

1. All NVIDIA chips since original TNT support both constant alpha blending (used in fade effects) and per-pixel alpha blending (used in shadows).

2. All ATI Radeon series chips and all Matrox Gxxx series chips support constant alpha blending but not per-pixel alpha. Users of these chips would be advised to disable XP shadowing effects to improve performance

3. Older chips (eg. Kryo II, 3dfx chips, S3 chips, SiS chips, Intel chips) do not support either feature, and are likely to perform crappily in XP.

Some of the limitations of ATI and Matrox cards might be resolved with updated drivers.

That's interesting... I disabled all the effects because I was getting really bad 2D performance (turns out it was stupid me leaving the Language Bar open with Speech Recognition on) turned them all back on...
    Along the way I wondered how shadowing would be done... I would think you could get the same effect by simply adding a border around the right and bottom edges of any window.
    P3 500 @ 600
    256MB PC133 RAM
    64MB PC100 RAM
    Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
    Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
    WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
    G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
    Monster Sound MX400
    512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
    Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
    ASUS P3B-F
    Logitech X1 Speakers
    Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    19.1G IBM 60GXP
    8.4G Seagate
    1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Well, I've never had any problems with the speed of shadowing, except in early betas of WindowFX under Win2k. (So kind of unrelated, hehe!)

Ooooh wait, does the multiple file select transparent thinger count as shadows? The G400 sucked at that one...

The Kyro2 sucks at all of that. It is nice 'n' fast in 3D, but merely 'adequate' in 2D.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Shadowing in XP doesn't seem to be TOO slow, but it's a noticeable difference for me when i disable it. File Menus and the Start button open up a lot faster and smoother with no shadowing.

Would you guys think Matrox would address this issue with the next set of drivers? or do you think it's always going to be like this for a G400?

-edit-
        What versions of G400 drivers work with XP anyway? can anyone tell me? i'm using 5.71 beta. Do the 5.52 work?

and win9x versions work in XP? thanks for the help
        Last edited by JesTa784; 19 September 2001, 22:19.

Comment

5.71 beta is exactly the same with 5.71 release version except it removes G400 & G400MAX support in the SETUP utility.

Since 5.71 is WHQL version, I guess it removed G400 support due to G400 DVD-MAX overlay bug. If the video player window is covered by other windows, then the secondary display of the Video Overlay would become a mass.
          P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

When will we se the finished Windwos XP drivers for G400 from Matrox?

Thats the big question!

Comment

Most likely not until XP is available for purchase in the retail channel.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yeah hehe slow down a bit
                about 30 days... as people have said, Matrox usually have drivers out as soon as a new OS comes out
                I'm just glad they're still supporting the G400
                P3 500 @ 600
                256MB PC133 RAM
                64MB PC100 RAM
                Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
                Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
                WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
                G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
                Monster Sound MX400
                512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
                Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
                ASUS P3B-F
                Logitech X1 Speakers
                Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
                Logitech Internet Keyboard
                19.1G IBM 60GXP
                8.4G Seagate
                1.57G Fujitsu

Comment

Thanks Matrox for posting status of XP driver development.

G400 XP drivers are "in progress."
                  But G200 drivers are "supplied with XP."

Since drivers supplied with XP offer no OGL support, does this mean Matrox just dropped OGL support for G200 users?

Comment

Let me ask Randy
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

he just got himself a nice g400 (and I think he's not the kind of person to install Win XP ... hehehe )

Comment

Yah, sorry, I've no G200 anymore. I sold it to a house/flat-mate of dZeus in fact But he runs Linux on it

And dZeus is right, I won't be installing XP anytime soon. (or even just "anytime")

Too bad that Microsoft is back to her old self. Removing Java and removing OpenGL is very typical for the company

In my opinion, not XP is the best windows ever, but w2k.

Comment

Randy Simons:
                          You can get Java whenever you want. Just go to Sun's Java page and download Java 2 Runtime Environment or download Microsofts version of JVM using Windows Update.
                          Live long and prosper!

Comment

Thanks for tip, but since I'm using Opera I don't need the non-standard-compliant MS JavaVM anyway

Comment

BTW that's not the same Randy I was thinking of

Comment

Working...
                              X