WinXP the real deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP the real deal!

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Told ya.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Well after using XP for... 2 hours i must say that installing was easy, did a upgrade from w2k and it asked nothing. Everything works, tried DivX, OpenGL, D3D, mp3s.. so im pretty happy at this moment. =) The cartoon like desktop is something to get used to ( for the moment.. havent found a skin that i would like ).

PeTe

Comment

Well I have a few things to say after thoroughly reading that review.

1. Whatever build they saw wasn't REALLY final. *ahem* But pretty close.

2. I don't know why their settings wouldn't stay the way they were supposed to, but let me reiterate that HOME EDITION SUCKS ASS. In much the same way Windows ME did, and many new ways as well.

3. To uninstall the bloatware, go to:

c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf

And take the "hide" out of all the lines of code in there. Leave all the commas, just remove the "hide"... and VIOLA! all the components are uninstallable.

4. My recommendation? Go for either the Plus Pack (the nature theme is quite nice) or the Classic skin. Then, go refresh your Object Desktop Network subscription, and install WindowBlinds XP... and use one of their top-notch skins.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

My recommendation: pass on it. If you don't pass on it then get a removable drive bay and a couple of trays. Put Win98SE and/or Win2K on one and XP on the other. They you at least have workable alternatives. Cost me all of $30 USD.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I just use a triple boot. Win98SE, Win2k and WinXP all on one drive. No need for third party software or anything. And no need to swap out drives and such.

I'm not going to pass judgement on XP until I have drivers for all my devices. After some testing and hard core use, I'll be able to say if XP is worth anything.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Gurm,

thnx for the tip, atleast the uninstall option is really nice.

PeTe

Comment

has anyone managed to rip the nature theme out of plus, for those who can't be arsed to dl all of plus just for a theme?.

Comment

Working...
                X