Win2k server and DSL sharing...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k server and DSL sharing...?

Howdy all. Got a question, or maybe a couple.

First, my little cheapo DSL router took a dive a couple weeks ago. I figured no problem, I'll set up my spare comp as a server. Seeing as how I have no linux experience I went with 2k Advanced Server. (Yes I payed 110 bucks when Linux is free) For the most part everything runs fine and dandy, all 5 other computers get DHCP addresses and connect fine.

Problem 1) None of the computers on the netowrk here can send files out via file sharing apps...Apps such as the various popular file sharers, FTP servers, and such. Any idea how I can open up at least one computer with open connectivity to the internet?

Problem 2) If I have nothing at all running on the Server machine it works great, for the most part. However, when I have anything running in the background, ICQ, an FTP server, file sharing programs, etc. it tends to disconnect itself from the internet, and as such all the comps in the house lose the internet.

Ext. to Problem 2) I have a fairly unreliable DSL provider, and whenever I get disconnected (usually for 30 secs - 1 minute) the same thing happens, I lose all connectivity and the only way to get it back is to close the in home network line, connect with only the internet connection running, then open the internal connection back up.

The server machine is a P3 800, un-oc'ed of course, with 128 megs of generic RAM and IBM hdd's.

I apologize for the crazy length of this post, tried to explain as best I could. If anyone knows any way around any of the problems I welcome any suggestions you have. Thanks for helping a newbie out.

If you are using PPPoE (sounds like it) on the DSL line, I recommend getting RASPPPoE (do a quick web search) and getting version 0.96 - it will auto-reconnect with no loss of the home network.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Actually I am not using PPPoE. I don't know what "normal" DSL is called, but that's what I have. I have a static IP address if that is any help at all.

Comment

Maybe this file helps you.

Greetz,
        Cartman
        main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Who is your ISP for the DSL? Even thou you have a set of static IP addy's, it is still most likly PPPoE. It is the cheepest method of creating the DSL connection, so has become the most common.

Jeff
          -We stop learning when We die, and some
          people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
          Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
          - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
          - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

I go through a little company (crap) that goes through Verizon. I know for a fact that I am not using PPPoE.

Comment

Rev you are using DHCP
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Are you using ICS or NAT?
                AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I am using NAT, and DHCP for the computers behind the network. Anyone had better success with ICS?

Greebe, should I not use DHCP for the computers behind the network? It's really no trouble to give them IP addys.

Comment

While I'm not runnning Win2K, I do have Verizon DSL and am running a network using DHCP only on the gateway machine, all others have static IP's. I'm using a program called NAT32 (.com) to perform this.

This can be setup as a server, but since I'm not into that (yet) per se, I can't advise you further
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I would try to give you more advice as I am using Win2KAS (Now... I finally went and unwrapped the box)

I am using NAT through the Routing and Remote Access Administrative tool.

I haven't set up my other computer with any file sharing apps and ftp stuff yet.. so I can't really give you too much advice.

What I think you should try to do is find out why you are dropping the connection on the server when you run any programs on it...

Something doesn't seem right (As I am sure you know)

Maybe tonight I will see about puting Morpeus or some other program on the slow computer just to see if it will give me any difficulties.

I will also check with MSN Messanger and ICQ to see if they can share files from the slow computer.

Well figure this out yet

Oh and also I was reading about the functionality of Routing Vs Translation on Win2K AS... and lets see if I can dig up that info...

To connect a small office or home office (SOHO) network to the Internet, you can use one of two methods:

Routed connection
                      For a routed connection, the computer running Windows 2000 Server acts as an IP router that forwards packets between SOHO hosts and Internet hosts. While conceptually simple, a routed connection requires knowledge of IP address and routing configuration for SOHO hosts and the Windows 2000 router. However, routed connections allow all IP traffic between SOHO hosts and Internet hosts. For more information, see SOHO network to the Internet.

Translated connection
                      For a translated connection, the computer running Windows 2000 Server acts as an network address translator; an IP router that translates addresses for packets being forwarded between SOHO hosts and Internet hosts. Translated connections that use computers running Windows 2000 Server require less knowledge of IP addressing and routing and provide a simplified configuration for SOHO hosts and the Windows 2000 router. However, translated connections may not allow all IP traffic between SOHO hosts and Internet hosts.

In Windows 2000 Server, you can configure a translated connection to the Internet by using either the Internet connection sharing feature of Network and Dial-up Connections or the Network Address Translation (NAT) routing protocol provided with the Routing and Remote Access service. Both Internet connection sharing and network address translation provide translation, addressing, and name resolution services to SOHO hosts.

Internet connection sharing is designed to provide a single step of configuration (a single check box) on the computer running Windows 2000 to provide a translated connection to Internet for all of the hosts on the SOHO network. However, once enabled, Internet connection sharing does not allow further configuration beyond the configuration of applications and services on the SOHO network. For example, Internet connection sharing is designed for a single IP address obtained from an Internet service provider (ISP) and does not allow you to change the range of IP addresses allocated to SOHO hosts. For more information, see Internet connection sharing.

The Network Address Translation (NAT) routing protocol is designed to provide maximum flexibility in the configuration of the computer running Windows 2000 Server to provide a translated connection to Internet. Network address translation requires more configuration steps; however, each step of the configuration is customizable. The NAT protocol allows for ranges of IP addresses from ISP and the configuration of the range of IP addresses allocated to SOHO hosts. For more information, see Understanding network address translation.

I have no idea if this helps any.. but its under windows help in the catagory of

"Internet connection sharing, network address translation and"
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                      X