A7V and Kingston Value Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A7V and Kingston Value Ram

Due to spiraling SDRAM price i went and got myself 768MB of ram (3x256MB).. the reason being i am not intending to upgrade my sys just max it out as much as possible..then buy new rig year end.
    The problem i am getting is i cant put more than 1x256MB stick and boot my OS properly(Win2k - have about 400MB free space left in my Hdd). 2x256MB boots the OS but crashes with exception error. 3x256MB POSTs but hangs just before booting OS.
    I wont be free till weekend to fiddle around my rig, so i need to know if anyone had similar problems before or has anyone have a ASUS A7V mobo with more than 256MB ram running smoothly and with what bios ver.? (i am using ver 1008).

Thanks,
    Bel.
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Do you mean you have like 40MB total free diskspace available or just on your C: partition?????????????
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I have only one Hdd partition 35GB in C: out of which i have now left 1GB space.(deleted alot of junk i can find since the problem arise)
      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP

Comment

Greebe, can I close this thread, as i had solved the problem or do you have to close it

Guru's remark on HDD space sparked something off in my mind.. I dont know if what i did actually solved the problem, could be coincidence. Everything fell into place once i had more than 1.5 times of my ram size that is about 1.2 GB free on my HDD.

This is funny as the main reason i got the ram is because the system was running out of HDD space and rather than buying another HDD, i was planning to move the swap file to ram.

Remembered reading somewhere that windows 3.11 or so required the swap file to be 1.5 times the ram to be efficient or something.. M$ should by now removed this redundant requirement but it seems still to be around in win2000...

Thanks Guru.

Since i had to open up the pc... i have taken the first step towards madness...My Duron 650 is now o/c'ed at 800
        what's next..G400?

Comment

Working...
        X