Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot Questions

Hi,
    I would like to create a partition and run Windows 2000 on my computer. Can someone please point me to some information related to performing this operation?

I'm currently running Windows 98SE. 7200 40 gig drive currently used....Boot off of a 10 gig partition, the other partition (30 gig) is used for capture. 5400 8 gig drive used for general storage.

Any recommendations with my setup?

thanks,
    terry

The setup with least hazzle for you is to install Win2k on the same partition as your Win9x, ie. your C:

During installation you will be notified to choose a directory for the win2k files and at this point DO NOT specify your win9x directory. Use "Winnt" or "Win2k" or whatever. This ensures that your Win9x is preserved and that Win2k boot-manager will enable you to choose upon boot time what OS to start up.

Hope this was what you were looking for.

Ghydda
    As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
    My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
    |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

The recommended way to the best of my knowledge is to install Windows 2000 in a seperate partition (Partition Magic 6).

I did it this way & it works fine.

John Price

Comment

It's really not a good idea to install Win2K to the same partition as Win9x/ME.

Win2K should be installed to its own partition and this should be formatted as NTFS during the Win2K installation (the installer will prompt for what filesystem to use). Partition Magic is an excellent tool for manipulating the partitions, even those that contain data.

Given that large enough drives for video capture are now quite cheap I'd also recommend a separate physical drive for video capture. This prevents one of the major causes of dropped frames.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

A useful resource

Note the 3rd paragraph

Cheers

John Price

Last edited by johnpr98; 13 September 2001, 13:02.

Comment

Working...
          X