Overclocking the Celeron 900 on a CUBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking the Celeron 900 on a CUBX

I have a CUBX board running BIOS version 8 beta 3 with Win98SE. I've overclocked a C900 (100 MHz) and have it running stable at 1116 MHz (124 FSB) at default voltage (1.75), using the stock heatsink and fan. I tried to get it to boot at 133 FSB, but the board just beeped in an endless loop of long beeps, which according to the manual means that there is No DRAM installed or detected. This was odd, considering I have 1024 Mbs of PC133 RAM (4 x 256) installed. Increasing the CPU voltage up to 1.85 volts from 1.75 volts made no difference.

I decided to up the I/O voltage to 3.60 volts from 3.45 volts (page 19 of manual) and it did make a difference, but not enough apparently. Although the computer would now boot at 133 FSB, only 512 Mbs of RAM was being detected and Win98 would freeze just as the desktop was about to be displayed.

I find it odd that only half of the RAM was being detected at 133 FSB, and also that everything works so well at 124 FSB (default CPU and I/O voltage, cool CPU, etc), but just one step faster causes several seemingly insurmountable problems. Anyone else had similar experiences overclocking on the CUBX? (Hey, I know it's an old board, but it's dependable!)

I have the same board and it always works...!

I have it running at 133 with a 833eb. The Celeron that you are using is the issue. I won't let you go any higher. You have clock it up pretty good on that BX board. Be happy, you have found the limitations now acceptance is your road.

Comment

I have to second that. Try to raise the core voltage a little bit but have an eye on the core temp. My Celery II is running with 1.9V @ 1060 MHz with 37°C on the desktop and 52°C under full load.

MK
      Last edited by MK; 8 September 2001, 11:08.
      <font size="1">
      Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
      ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
      Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
      2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
      256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
      Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
      ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
      Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
      Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
      Plustek Optic Pro U12B
      HP Deskjet 959C
      Plantronics LS1 Headset
      all on W2k Professional SP2
      </font>

Comment

Be happy, you have found the limitations now acceptance is your road.
        Where's the fun in that!

It just seems odd that at 124 FSB (with default voltage, etc) all is peachy, then going one step higher to 133 FSB causes disaster. You'd think that at 124 FSB there'd be at least some minor problems if 133 FSB was going to poop out completely.

Has anyone here had any experience removing the ACPI bios drivers and substituting the PnP bios drivers instead? Here's a link explaining what one fella did.

Does this make any sense in regards to overclocking?

Comment

Why don`t you try to raise the voltage ? It`s astonishing that your chip is running stable at this speed with the stock voltage. If you pump up the core voltage, you should be able to reach higher levels aka 133 MHz FSB.

MK
          <font size="1">
          Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
          Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
          Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
          Plustek Optic Pro U12B
          HP Deskjet 959C
          Plantronics LS1 Headset
          </font>

Comment

MK, read the first paragraph of my first post! I've tried a higher voltage up to 1.85 volts, but it made no difference. I guess I could try a little higher.

Comment

We had to bump the voltage up to 2.05v on my friend's P2B-LS R1.03 to get the P!!!/850 FC-PGA slocket'ed CPU to be stable. Just keep an eye on the temps and go for it. You've got plenty of room before you fry it (check Intel specs on operating temperatures) and you'll most like replace it long before the shortened life span expires.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

As xortam said, 2.05V is the limit. Until you have not been there, you do not know what your chip can do ...

MK
                <font size="1">
                Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                HP Deskjet 959C
                Plantronics LS1 Headset
                </font>

Comment

Careful, careful...

I dunno.

I raised the CPU voltage up to 1.9 volts and it still freezes just as the desktop is about to appear. The only difference is that this time I got an Explorer error message as it froze up. Will raising the voltage above this level really help any? I don't want to fry this chip quite yet. The hardware monitor in the BIOS was reporting the CPU temperature to be around 50 C @1200 MHz.

Comment

I just don't understand this Patrick fellow. He wants to be a hardcore overclocker but is afraid to fry his chips. These two don't seem to go together.

DJ

Comment

<font size="1">
                      Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                      Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                      Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                      Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                      HP Deskjet 959C
                      Plantronics LS1 Headset
                      </font>

Comment

Clock it higher.... till ya fry'er
                        else you neigh not know what may
                        if burnt to crisp
                        do not desist
                        Throw it away get new next day

Hey.. I'm a poet... and I didn't know it.

English RULEZ!!!! (Next to German but I can't speak it yet )
                        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I'm running my Celeron 850 at 952, 112 MHz FSB at the default 1.7v 100% stable. I had to take my HD's off the CMD UDMA/66 controller because it couldn't take the FSB bump without giving "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! I have detected bad blocks!" errors. The system runs stable at 133 MHz FSB if I drop the RAM to CAS3 and bump the voltage to 1.8v, but I really don't feel like taking a chance I'll hurt the G400 MAX. At 124 MHz the RAM'll hold up at CAS2, and give better Sandra Memory benchmarks than at 133 and CAS3, but then again the AGP is still being pushed 24% over spec, while the PCI bus gets UNDER clocked.

Comment

Working...
                          X