Cleaner 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaner 5

anyone use Cleaner 5 ? I have been using the older [Media Cleaner Pro - version 4] which was exellent. I would alway render uncompressed from After Effects and then runi i thru MCP4 for the various compressed versions i needed.

Anyone try V5. How is the capture module. I understand it uses MotoDV as a built-in capture module !? How's that perform. How's the Mpeg1/2 output quality?
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

I used Cleaner 5 all summer. at first i hated it because it was so buggy. I then downloaded the patch for Cleaner and also the latest DirectX 8.0A. That helped the crashes. But I still had random bugs. One bug that was annoying was that when running long batches of say 20 output files, sometimes random files would generate unusally gigantic sizes. For example, out of a batch of 20, one of my 56K cilps came out to be 10MB. When I ran the batch again, it came out correctly at .5MB. I have contacted Terran about this and they are looking into it.

Quality wise, I have to say that I was impressed with Cleaner. Its filters do a great job of cleaning up the picture. And the options are simple yet powerful. One thing though is that Cleaner is horribly slow. It can take 2-3 times longer than other programs to render using the same codec.

As for MPEG quality, I didn't test that too much, but the clips that I did encode were very good. I was actually using the MPEGCharger for Cleaner. I think that adds more options such as VBR.

Another option you might want to consider is a program called Anystream. www.anystream.com. Although this is more of an enterprise solution (>$1000), they have a workgroup version. Last time I checked, they had a demo available for download that has all the capabilities other than deck control and capture. As long as you provide source files, this does an awesome job. One major point that is impressive about this program is that if you have dual processors, it will encode two streams at once from you batch. I would have to say that this is one of the fastest encoders I have seen. Anystream only has WMV, Real, QT(1 pass CBR Sorenson 2), MPEG 1, and MPEG 2. I definetly recomend that you take a look at this program.

I would wait on Cleaner 5 until their next patch comes out (they said "end of summer," but who knows what that means), 5.1. This will include WMV 8, Real 8.5 and Sorenson 3 encoding. I'm psyched about that. Hope this helps.

Jason

Comment

Thanx man for all the info... i do agree about the speed issue... same problem with MCP4... damn only if it was faster ! I'll try the product you recommended... did you say the demo does all but capture !? Man that is awesome ! I'll check it out right now !
      Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
      PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
      SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
      IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
      IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
      Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
      Marvel G200 TV
      Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
      HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
      Creative Infra48 CD ROM
      Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
      Realtek Chip NIC 10/100