Capture time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture time

for those that do capture DV... do you capture using a special utility [e.g. Sonic Foundry Capture...etc] or do you use Premiere's or MSP's built-in capture module? Any pros and cons !?

Also, In terms of "DV editing" meaning DV format captured footage, which is a more stable, comfortable editing enviroment. Premiere or MSP. I always use After Effects for most short edits, but i am leaning towards making my life easier by using a Video Editor instead of a compositing program to do simple jobs !

I know each pacakge has pros and cons... just want to know what they are in terms of native DV editing.
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

With MSPro 6.5 the bundled Video Capture program is the way to go because of all the new features including automatic scene detection, segmented capture, integrated camcorder control etc.

Even so 6.5's Video Capture program still does not do time lapse captures, so if you want to do those you might want to check out Scenalyzer Live!.

http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html $33 USD

With MSPro 6.0 and versions many users found Scenalyzer Live! very useful because it provided many advanced features that Ulead Video Capture does not.

With Premiere of any version Scenalyzer Live! is an essential tool because of its in-the-editor capture module being so clunky.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 September 2001, 20:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I found MSP6.0 capture utility close to useless. I'll find out about 6.5 when it gets here.

Premiere's capture seems to work well for me but only appears to do DV type 2. So I generally use the Sonic Foundry capture tool, v2.0e ( I think that's the version I have) which defaults to type 1 but can do type 2 as well as analog captures.

The way I work, I prefer to capture entire tapes and cut them up in the editor. I start SF capture and go do something else. While the capture runs on beyond the end of the video it appears to stop writing to disk when the video stops and I've had no problems coming back an hour after starting a capture of 20 minutes worth of tape.

Since MSP 6 works rather poorly with type 2 and Premiere stinks with type 1, you pretty much have to chose your catpure format based on the editor you want to use. Vegas Video's best feature, IMHO, is that it appears to work effectively even when mixing type1 and type 2 in the same project. Too bad its user interface is so quirky and inconsistant, but its a great editor if you are willing to adjust your workflow to match what the authors had in mind -- I'm not.

Comment

I thought SF was a greta tool to use... now tell me the version you are using is it still FREE? is it reliable or does it go crazy at times?!
        Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
        PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
        SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
        IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
        IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
        Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
        Marvel G200 TV
        Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
        HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
        Creative Infra48 CD ROM
        Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
        Realtek Chip NIC 10/100