Shocking Experience Installing Cable Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking Experience Installing Cable Modem

I was just trying to set up the cable line for my cable modem. I screwed the little splitter in and went to disconnect the incoming line and got shocked. Thinking that was just possibly a small buildup of current from that line I kept going sicne it was now diconnected.. I tried to run a line from the splitter for the cable modem to the main splitter in our house. I got shocked again! The incoming line was disconnected. There are four lines connected to the main splitter:

Back Bedroom, Upstairs by the Stairs, Upstairs by the Driveway, and Front Bedroom.

The line to the front bedroom is a single line. The one going to the room by the stairs has adapters, but I did that myself and know that the line is good.

Anyone got any ideas how a cable line could be supplying consistent but relatively weak current. It seemd to go no farther than my fingers and it was only due tto ditect contact with the main cable splitter.

I figured some people here might have an idea since we MURCER's love our TV cards. Thanks all.

Sounds like you or the cable company have either a bad ground or AC riding on it due to a bad ground or common fault (open)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah I had this happen - turns out the cable modem's AC outlet wasn't 100% grounded.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
      X