Magnetic screwdrivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic screwdrivers

Could magnetic screwdrivers damage computers by making screws magnetic?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I never had a problem with using mine but I suppose there's always a remote theoretical possibility!

Comment

Boy, that's a real stretch. I've used magnetic screwdrivers since forever and never had it cause a problem in my computers, and I've been using 'em since about 1976.

Still having problems with the 75GXP's? If so where were they made; Europe or Asia (its on the lable)?

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In short Yes. But to do would depend on the type of magnetic tip or extension. If it's a magnet coupled tip can if left adjacient HD's, Monitors and or floppy drives (& disks).

If it's a weak magnetized tips are generally OK. They don't exhibit this behaviour due to the reduced field strength, with the exception of a monitor screen purity becoming trashed (just degauss it).

I have used weak tips myself for 20+ years and never have had a single issue. Have a massive 15 sub driver awaiting a voice coil transplant and a quick but light tap on the magnet and the tip locks in a strong enough field that will easily hold a screw.
        To demag them... just drop on a hard floor a couple times

or you can buy my book,
        Fun with Greebes Magnets
        Vol. 1-5
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

For more fun, read my book:

Payback with Magnets: A Magnetic Media Odyssey

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            For more fun, read my book:

Payback with Magnets: A Magnetic Media Odyssey

Jammrock
            that sounds really attractive!

Comment

I never use a magnetic screwdriver on computers, just to play it safe.

I use a little $2 screw grabber, and it works better than a magnetized tip ever could.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Boy, that's a real stretch. I've used magnetic screwdrivers since forever and never had it cause a problem in my computers, and I've been using 'em since about 1976.

Still having problems with the 75GXP's? If so where were they made; Europe or Asia (its on the lable)?

Dr. Mordrid
                Hungary and philipines!! and they have both "bad" "repaired" sectors
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                  In short Yes. But to do would depend on the type of magnetic tip or extension. If it's a magnet coupled tip can if left adjacient HD's, Monitors and or floppy drives (& disks).

If it's a weak magnetized tips are generally OK. They don't exhibit this behaviour due to the reduced field strength, with the exception of a monitor screen purity becoming trashed (just degauss it).

I have used weak tips myself for 20+ years and never have had a single issue. Have a massive 15 sub driver awaiting a voice coil transplant and a quick but light tap on the magnet and the tip locks in a strong enough field that will easily hold a screw.
                  To demag them... just drop on a hard floor a couple times

or you can buy my book,

Vol. 1-5
                  Hm..

They are not that strong...

IE the magnetism don't "rub off" on screws!

Comment

I only ask becase my boss told me that he finaly had bought some new screwdrivers....

You can all gues my disapointment when it turns out to be a 10$ set of magnetic (slightly greasy) screvdrivers that seems to be for car repairs....

The fing is that he thinks its a expensive and fine set....

I want a profesional set that I can order for 40-80$

Comment

If you want to read some IBM drive horror stories go to http://www.storagereview.com and read their General forum. This is not an uncommon problem.

The 75GXP drives most often mentioned there are those made in Hungary, the Philippines and Taiwan. No, those aren't all the production sites.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Technoid, maybe the tips of the screwdrivers get magnetized themselves over time, but I don't think they will magnetize the screws they catch. I've got 2 screwdrivers (Philips heads) that I bought last year, and their heads are already magnetized, from using them on computers and just screwing screws in walls I think that as long as you don't hit anything on your mobo with these tips, you won't get into trouble.

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

They do become magnetized... just very slightly.

Droping a screw driver (tip) can kill the field, just as smacking it on a magnet can induce a semi permanent field.

Technoid don't be an arse
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                            Technoid don't be an arse
                            What ?? what??

What did I do?

Comment

Hm..

They are not that strong...

IE the magnetism don't "rub off" on screws!
                              It does in sense "rub off" for it's a weakly induced. You can even magnetize a piece of metal (ferromagnetic) by hitting it hard. By dropping a screw driver (what not) causes the hysteresis to become skewed and the field weakens.

What size tools are you looking for? Anything special?

I prefer Wiha and have these...
                              No. 26591 http://www.wihatools.com/265serie.htm
                              No. 26590 http://www.wihatools.com/265serMM.htm
                              + the 1.5, 1.8 and 2mm sizes

Also a System 4 set with the reversible Slotted/Phillips and Torx combination drivers

These tools will last a lifetime (trust me

The System 6 is an excellent all around set too http://www.wihatools.com/pro_system6.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X