What's that burning smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that burning smell?

My brothers friend asked me to bring a Windows startup disk with me to his house to format his HD. He said the registry got corruped, and the system wouldn't boot. When I got there (actually, I'm still there, posting on his system) I tried the disk, but it wouldn't even finish booting from the floppy. I had a hell of a time getting into the BIOS, but finaly I manged it, and started going through each page one at a time looking for something that could possibly be causing the strange behavior. After detirmining that everything seemed to be properly set, I went to the "hardware monitor" page. Hmm... 110c for CPU temp? That can't possibly be right (it's a Duron 900 system). As the side of the case was open I crawled down and took a peek. I was shocked to see the fan NOT spinning on the heatsink. I cut the power, and stupidly went to feel the heatsink to see if it really was that hot... AAIIIEEE!!!!!! It turned that the power "cable" from the PS resting against the face of the sink, and one of the wires had became jammed in the fan. I just took a little wire hanger and secured the bundle up and away from the fan and was amazed to see the system boot back up and run properly.

Lol 110C that's hot. The only time i had my p3 to run at that temp was when i ran it without heatsink. When i had my celeron 300@500, my normal cpu temp was 96C and it worked at that temp for 2-3years.... and still works 'cuz my friend has'nt said he had a prob with it. I was really amazed that a cpu could run stable at that temp without problems.

Spazm
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

lol. I thought that this was going to be some sort of flaming thread!

Comment

Good thing about slot CPUs, in case one of your fans fries you've got the other to keep you safe

Got one dying one me last week, should've heard the hardware monitor alert, felt like bombs were going to drop on me the next second

Comment

Working...
        X