Running Grim Fandango under Win2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Grim Fandango under Win2K

This past week I upgraded my system from Windows 98 to 2000 after 98 finally became too unstable to stay up without crashing. Anyway I upgraded all my drivers, installed service pack 2 and got my online connection working. Then I tried to run some games for the first time.
    First I installed Half Life w/ Op Force. Unfortunatly the latest patch I downloaded at work and burned to a CD was corrupted (as have been a lot of downloads over the past week, but that's unrelated). I decided to try running it anyway. I got the menu screens but it would crash out as soon as I tried to actually play the game. After trying several time I've given up on that. Then I pulled out Grim Fandango. It installed OK and I installed the patch alright. Having done some research I enable Windows 2000 compatibility. The game started OK and I even played for 15 minutes or so. Suddenly I dropped to the desktop, no error, just dropped out.
    Anyway, what I want to know is this:
    1. Does anyone have Grim Fandango running under Windows 2000 and if so, how
    2. Is there any specific advice for running games under Windows 2000 with Matrox hardware? I haven't really had to troubleshoot my current setup for so long I am somewhat out of practice.
    Thanks.

My current config:
    Intel Celeron 566@850
    Abit BE6-II v1.1
    256MB PC-100 Crucial RAM
    Matrox G400 32MB DH OEM
    Adaptec 2940U2W
    3 Hard Drives (don't remember models)
    Yamaha 6416-SW CDRW
    Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-ROM
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    If you had a infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters one of them would eventually become head of Tech Support.

Abit BE6-II v1.1
    Intel Celeron 566@850
    Matrox G400 OEM 32MB DH
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    Maxtor 5.7 GB IDE Ultra33 System Drive
    Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-ROM
    Promise Ultra 66 with-
    Maxtor 30 GB Ultra66 Video drive
    Yamaha CDRW6416
    Adaptec 2940 U2W
    Windows 2000 SP2
    Generic LS-120 drive, Teac 3.5" Floppy

Runs fine here, err, there

My neighbor is using W2K/SR2 and is currently playing Monkey Island 4 which uses a beefed up version of the Grim Fandango engine and it runs fine.

He has a G450 but i don't know which drivers. As he is not a tinker boy and doesn't care about updates i would say he uses the ones out of the box. But i will ask.

Regards

Comment

Hmh

Who would have thought that: my neighbor has just upated his drivers to version 5.7. Monkey Island still runs though.

Sorry, i know this is not especially helpfull.

Regards

Comment

Well, some info is better than none. I suppose I could try Lucasarts, but I expect their response will be along the lines of "it doesn't support 2000."
        At least it ran, I suppose. It's more than I can say for Wordperfect Office 2000.
        If you had a infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters one of them would eventually become head of Tech Support.

Abit BE6-II v1.1
        Intel Celeron 566@850
        Matrox G400 OEM 32MB DH
        Sound Blaster Live Value
        Maxtor 5.7 GB IDE Ultra33 System Drive
        Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-ROM
        Promise Ultra 66 with-
        Maxtor 30 GB Ultra66 Video drive
        Yamaha CDRW6416
        Adaptec 2940 U2W
        Windows 2000 SP2
        Generic LS-120 drive, Teac 3.5" Floppy