512mb for £39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 512mb for £39

Yesterday I paid £39 for a 512mb sdram dimm to go into my server only to find that the board (a qdi brilliant dual bx ) will only see 128mb of the chip.

I then tested it on another other pc containing an Aopen via apollo chipset and it can only see 256mb. If I add more dimms it even refuses to post. Apart from being pissed off with it failing, I feel like a donkey for not checking the specs to see if either board can accept such a high memory module. Anyone know if there might be a solution.

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Anyone know if there might be a solution.
    guess you already know that you'll have to try to get it exchanged!

Comment

I assume it's the Brilliant IV in which case it only supports DIMM's upto 128Mb as you've discovered

Looks like you'll have to exchange the 512Mb DIMM for 4 x 128Mb which of course will be more expensive.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Unfortunately I bought the chip a local computer fair and the supplier is approx 40 miles from here but I do have a couple of easy options. Firstly I will see if a mate wants to buy, failing that I will put the chip into my apollo pro mboard and take out the existing chips. So OK I lose 256 megs but I am able to upgrade my server with a few more dimms.

As an aside, the supplier also had a couple of G400 with fans on for sale (does anyone know if these are max's ).

regards MD
        Interests include:
        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

the supplier also had a couple of G400 with fans on for sale (does anyone know if these are max's ).
          AFAIK only the G400MAX came with a fan!

Comment

Working...
          X