Changing mobo, what to do in win98SE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing mobo, what to do in win98SE?

This probably has been asked before but I couldnt find the answer doing search on the forum archives.

Recently my brother's MSI-K7Tpro mobo died and I just replaced with an Epox 8KTA2. I knew from previous posts that you can just erase/change some files in the Windows directory and all the old settings would be gone and new hardware/mobo can be installed without formating the harddrive. There are some important files that I would rather have them intact. Advice on how to would be appreciated!

Just update the infs (4in1 utility) after you change the mobo!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

When swapping mobos in midstream,it's best to follow one of the following procedures.
      Start the computer in safe mode,in device manager,remove all devices(especially system devices,restart the computer and let windows redetect all devices,you may want to run add new hardware and let windows search that way.
      The second option is delete the Enum key in the registry(this removes all devices as well,however for those not familiar with the registry,this approach is not for the weak of heart
      The reason for doing all this,is Windows will detect the new mobo and will install all the drivers for it,while keeping the old drivers and devices for the old mobo,a situation that can cause conflicts down the road,if not immediately.

Comment

Or you can look at this as a good oppurtunity to reformat and have a fresh new system

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

what about this thread ?

Comment

my 2 cents worth

if I can I usually will:

1. copy driver files to system drive before tranfer to new board so as you detect devices you'll have file access (cuz you probably wont have CD access yet)

2. in your situation copy driver files to to another hard drive so as you detect devices you'll have file access (cuz you STILL might not have CD access =)
            ---- then boot in regular mode so it can detect the new board

IF you have issues THEN kill the ENUM Key in the registry THEN try again

-Dil
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
            X