DirectX8.0a and 8.1 Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX8.0a and 8.1 Bug

Microsoft left debug mode on in 8 and 8a for Direct sound. That is eating up cpu cycles from hell having that on, not to mention software/hardware conflicts that it can create. Well I hope this helps some people. This will cure many ailments.

Extract to Windows/System then go to Control Panel click on the Dx applet go to the Direct sound tab and slide the debug slider all the way to the left <<<<< to disable debug mode. It will work w/ 8.1 but I believe debug is off w/ that version. Microsoft rememberd to check. http://www.gamevoiceclub.com/Download/dxapplet.zip

May help for those experiencing crippling stutter-chop problems and using DirectX 8.x. I know several posters claim games runs better with DirectX 7 than DirectX 8. Could this be part of the reason and will the fix alleviate the problem?

Edit Sasq: Some posts have been deleted from this thread to save space
    Last edited by Sasq; 17 December 2001, 02:16.

I have done this some time ago, but it didn't change anything for me.

Regards

Comment

It helps a lot for those that have Via boards and SBlives. It seems to solve a lot of the crackling and in some cases solves the freezing as well.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I tried shutting off the audio debugging on my system as soon as I read this thread, and it has actually solved most of the random crackling I get in my system (SBlive, VIA686b, Win2k). As for random freezing, I only encounter that when I use AOL Instant Messenger.
        P=I^2*R
        Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Working...
        X