Shark Attacks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Attacks.

They are terrible and sometimes tragic but I wish they would stop calling them shark attacks. The sharks are only doing what comes natural to them, feeding. With the increase of the shark population and the over fishing of our costal waters the sharks are coming in closer to shore to find food. Sharks do not see they hear and smell. They can not tell the difference between a human and a very large fish. And the next time you read about another attack think about the following.

Has federal shark-protection programs caused surge in savage shark attacks?

WASHINGTON, DC -- The next time someone claims government programs don't really cost an arm and a leg, tell him about the federal shark- stock rebuilding project -- which has apparently contributed to a 325% increase in the number of vicious shark attacks off the coast of Florida.

"As amazing as it sounds, politicians appear to have created a federal program that increases the likelihood of shark attacks," said Steve Dasbach. "In an effort to protect one species, politicians have endangered another one -- human beings.

"So, the next time you read about a surfer being attacked or a small child being savaged by a shark, there's one thing you should keep in mind: Politicians can do more than just take a bite out of your paycheck."

Wait a second: Isn't it going a little too far to blame politicians for
    shark attacks? Not according to Sean Paige, a fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute in Washington, DC.

In a story published in National Review Online, Paige reported that the federal government began a shark-stock rebuilding project in 1993, in an effort to protect what some said was an endangered species.

New federal regulations shortened the commercial shark-fishing season and strictly limited the number of sharks that could be harvested. As a result, as many as 236,900 fewer sharks were caught in 1999 than in 1993.

In Florida -- where the majority of shark attacks occur -- state
    politicians followed suit and instituted a strict one-shark-per-person fishing limit. They also banned two common fishing techniques, which created a shark "sanctuary" near shore, where most attacks occur.

The consequences have been deadly. The number of shark attacks off U.S. coasts jumped to 51 last year -- up from only 21 in 1993. And in Florida, the number of shark-attack victims rose by an astounding 325%, to 34 last year.

In fact, so many swimmers have been terrorized over the past few months that Time magazine has labeled this season, "Summer of the Shark." In one especially horrific case, a bull shark tore the arm off an 8-year-old Mississippi boy who was swimming near Pensacola, Florida, on July 6.

While it is impossible to say with 100% certainty that the shark-stock rebuilding program directly caused those attacks, there must be some connection, said Dasbach.

"Do the math," he said. "On one hand, hundreds of thousands of
    additional federally protected sharks are swimming around off the coast of America. On the other hand, there has been a sharp rise in the number of shark attacks.

"You don't have to be a marine biologist to figure out that more sharks are going to lead to more shark attacks. It's obvious -- unless you're a politician."

That's why the shark-stock rebuilding program appears to be a classic case of the Law of Unintended Consequences, said Dasbach.

"It happens all the time," he said. "Politicians pass a law to 'solve' one problem, and unwittingly cause another problem -- frequently worse than the original one.

"For example, welfare programs intended to alleviate poverty end up getting poor people addicted to government handouts; minimum wage laws designed to help the poor find good-paying jobs end up causing unemployment; and federal mandates forcing employers to provide medical care end up increasing health-care costs.

"So why should we be surprised that a program designed to protect sharks also has an unintended consequence -- jeopardizing the lives of swimmers? One way or another, problems always seem to get worse when politicians sink their teeth into them."
    Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

A perfect example......

of your "highly intellegent" elected officials spending YOUR hard earned tax dollars.....

-Dil
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Humans The Other White meat.....LOL

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Tastes just like chicken!
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I read on the net that those sharks we're trained by Fidel's people near Cuba and then sent to harvest the american beaches... that's clever...

I love the internet...
          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

That's odd, I didn't realize the Competitive Enterprise Institute had Zoologists on staff.
            I notice you didn't sight a source. Rush Whatzizface perhaps?

Sean Paige:

Steve Dasbach is the current Chair of the Libertarian Party:

Why should anyone believe a couple of political hacks whos job is to produce a pre-determined political position on a subject about which they know nothing?
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I saw this special on MSNBC a couple months ago on Sharks....the interesting fact that I picked up on by an expert on sharks is there is like 10-20,000 sharks killed by man a year and there was less then 200 attacks on men during 2000 ! On top of that there is only 5 types of sharks (bull,tiger,white, hammerhead, and another that escapes my memory at this time) that are considered dangerous to man. Out of those 5, the bull shark is considered the most dangerous since its pretty much blind and can't smell for a worth of crap...reason it bites then releases its prey if it happens to be human and not a nice fat seal or whatever.

Scott
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Here are the views of someone who actualy studies sharks:

chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Oh I agree, that alot of this is media hype just like all the media hype over school shootings not long back. But what do you expect from the mostly liberal run media. The media now days does not report the news as much as they make the news or hype it to support their political agenda. And you know what makes it real sad is that the majority of the public takes whatever they say as gospel and questions very little. That's why I try to get my news from as many sources as possible so I can try to weed through some of the hype and find the real news.

Joel

BTW In the article that I posted they did say that they can not be 100% positive that this is the reason but it does give you something to think about that you would never find in the liberal media.
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                  X