Baffled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffled

System: AMD K6 2/400. ASUS P5 Mainboard (Ali Chipset), Matrox Mill2 + RRS, 128meg Pc100 Ram,Maxtor 8.4ig (5400 rpm ATA33) partitioned in to Two: C: System & D: Promise Fastrak controller(ATA33) with two 10gig Maxtors (7200 rpm) RAID 0. Netgear FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI adapter card linked to my other PC.Software O/S Win 98. MSP 5.2 (full), AVI_io (Reg.version).l

Problem: Dropping frames when capturing to the two maxtors.
    I tried an experiment, I set-up my Sony TR2000 without any tape in it so it did not shut down. I then decided to capture anything at 6.6.1 704 x 576 to see if I could capture at these settings. I found that I was dropping frames about one every minute if not more. I then decided to reduce the bus utilization all the way down. I then disabled my Ethernet card and also turned off the power pack to reduce any interference from it. I found that these alterations made some difference.

However my biggest surprise came when I decided to capture to a `temp` folder on my system drive. I could capture full res. At 6.6.1 without dropping a single frames. I did my utmost to try to get it to drop frames but it didn’t.

This is where I am baffled. All the same setting & conditions apply for the Fastrak set-up as do for the system drive and yet the system drive, without the benefit of the Fastrak performed better.
    I took note of the previous postings and made adjustments to the PCI bus utilisation and disabled my network card but things are still not right.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Cheers

Martin

Martin, you might want to check out the forum at Storage Review. There have been MANY problems reported with Maxtor hard drives being used with a FastTrack. Here's a "little" thread that currently has 196 posts about it!

http://www.storagereview.com/ubb/For...ML/002329.html

Good luck.

Comment

So... was that link of any help?

Comment

Patrick,

Apologies been busy wrapped up in other problems. BUT yes it did help.

Answer= junk Fastrak Raid. I now have both Maxtors running individually and am able to (using AVI_io) capture at 6.6.1 WITHOUT dropping frames. So the Fastrak is now in my spare parts box !!.

Thanks.

BTW. Patrick have you come across this audio problem. For some reason when i play back any AVi file i get crackling or popping from my speakers. My PC seem set up correctly but for some reason it only happens with AVI files and not music.

Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

What sound card are you using? It isn't mentioned in your spec. If it's an on-board type then I may be able to help. I had this clicking/popping problem with my original video PC (486 133Mhz RainBow Runner). It had an on-board YAMAHA sound system that caused this sort of problem - it's due to DMA channel assignments and usage. I fixed it by getting a SB 16 PnP (very basic card) and it went away. I still use this card today - haven't seen anything to beat it. If you do decide to go for a new card - try and get an ISA one - there are lots of people having problems with PCI sound cards - esp SB Live!
          Phil
          AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

ISA sOUNDCARD are good, you don't waste a PCI slot

I have a good old SB16 in both my computers

does any one know about a sound-card that can recorde higher that 16bit

Comment

Phil,

My sound card is a SB16 PnP in an ISA slot. I have a PCI64 in my other PC which is used for `general work` and kept the SB16 for my `NLE PC`. Read below the e-mail i sent to Creative but have not got a reply as yet.

System: AMD K6 2/400. ASUS P5 Mainboard (Ali Chipset), Matrox Mill2 + RRS, 128meg Pc100 Ram,Maxtor 8.4ig (5400 rpm ATA33) partitioned in to Two: C: System & D: Two 10gig Maxtors (7200 rpm) used for video capture & storage. Sound Blaster 16PnP. Model CT 4180 (driver. 4.38.13) Speakers Tsunami EA 180 with intergrated amplfier. Win 98SE.

Problem. For some reason i seem to get only what i can describe as clicking or popping sounds from my system. I first noticed it when editing some captured video footage. Whilst playing back the video there is suddenly `popping/clicking` noises when the volume increase. For eg. If i was to video a conversation between two people with a constant volume. then suddenly when one person raises his voice i get this annoying clicking/popping. Another time i noticed this is when using the utility `Nuts & Bolts` The front end of this program has `zones` which become active once the mouse pointer moves over them. This is then accompanied by guitar note (obvioulsy programmed in) and it is whilst moving the mouse pointer over the `zones` that these clicks become apparent.
              It would seem a problem in my setup. This is stopping me from editing which i am now wanting to do urgently.

I have been on your site and noticed something to do with the on board amplifer on the sound card. Could this and the fact that i have amplfied speakers have something to do with my problem.

could you shed some light on this for me.

Has anyone come across this problem.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

The "poping & cracking" sound problem with PCI soundboards is most evident on SS7 platforms.
                Usualy it goes away if you disable UDMA!!
                BUT then your HDD's are creeping like snails.

In my case I "Donated" my SS7 MB to my mother and got myself an BX MB.

I have a SBlive and I havent had a single problem sice i switched.

The worst thing that i ever did from the NLE Veiwpoint was when i changed my G200 for a G400, gone from 10-15 droped frames per hour to 30-40!!!

------------------
                INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                SBlive
                192 MB RAM CAS2
                43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
                Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                X