On sale for who knows how long?

http://alinamicro.site.yahoo.net./pion1x2xdvdr.html

Is there anyone in this group that knows of or can check out;

Alina Micro, Inc.
    17981 SKYPARK CIRCLE
    SUITE N
    IRVINE,CA 92614
    Sales (888)625-9441 or (949)863-0500

The Better Business Bureau in that area has nothing on 'em.

Someone on MUG (MediaStudio Users Group) ordered one. We'll see if it's for real or not in a few days.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 September 2001, 20:57.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Dr. Mordrid,

What kind of info are you looking for? I can drive by and see if the address exists, but I can't even imagine ordering one, because that just sounds too good to be true!

Anyways, I can try and drop by on Monday, and ask to see one. There are more than a few sites that operate out of the Irvine area so it doesn't mean it is not legit.
    Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

It may well be legit. I've heard from a few folks now that both it and the Panasonic drive are starting to appear at $350 online.

What was that someone said about a price war? I think it started when the DVD+RW drives were listed at an MSRP of around $500.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

DVR-A03 Specifications
        Write Support: DVD-R (4.7 GB for General disc only*), DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW*
        * This writer cannot write to either 3.95 GB or 4.7 GB media for DVD authoring

Wath does this mean?
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

DVR-A03 Specifications
          Write Support: DVD-R (4.7 GB for General disc only*), DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW*
          * This writer cannot write to either 3.95 GB or 4.7 GB media for DVD authoring
          It means the A03 can't write the special sectors used for CSS encryption.

As to the $219 A03, page doesn't mention authoring software. Check the price of non-bundled DVD writing packages. Even if this price is legit, it may not be such a bargin without software.

OTOH, if the DVD writing in MSP 6.5 is as good as Doc says it is and works with the A03, a bare drive like this at a cheap price would be perfect!

One other thing I can think of, is I've heard the early A03's need a firmware upgrade to work right. These could be the bulk of that lot being dumped. Depending on how easy it is to find the updated firmware and flash utility would determine if its a "deal" or not.

--wally.
          Last edited by wkulecz; 2 September 2001, 07:42.

Comment

Not 100% on the details, but I heard a snippet somewhere that NERO supports DVD burning now or is going to in the future. If so, they tend to have some resonably priced burning apps.

Could be the start of something fun if that price is legit.
            WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Maybe we'll hear from someone who tried this Alina (is guinea pig a derisive term these days ). Funny there is no trace of Alina Micro on any popular search engines. Must be very new. I am tempted by it, and, according to the terms on that site, they do take credit cards, including AMEX. Still, I would hate to end up closing my 25 year old AMEX because I gave the number and expiration to some web scam. Plus, if Doc is right, we might be able to get similar prices from tried and true sources pretty soon.

Comment

I might have to get one of those. My CD-RW drive just died recently. That would be a nice replacement!

AlgoRhythm

Comment

Nero 5.5.4.0 does indeed now support CD-R, CD-RW, DDCD-R (double density CD-R), DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

On the input side it also now supports MP3 Pro audio.

To see the new options enter the Preferences/Expert Features tab and check the box labeled "Show all compilation types" at the bottom of the page.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 September 2001, 18:48.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I am sure the price of the Pioneer A03 was a misprint. I was just on their site and the price just changed to $619.00, still a bargain for this drive.

Ted
                    Premiere PRO XP Pro
                    Asus P4s533
                    P4-2.8
                    Matrox G450
                    RT.x100
                    45 GIG System Drive
                    120 Export Drive
                    Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                    17" P4-3 HT
                    1024 RAM
                    32 MEG GForce
                    60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                    80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
                    DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Now to see if they honor the orders at the lower price.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X