G550 won't install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 won't install

I got my G550 several days ago and have not been able to install it in my main machine. The motherboard is an Abit KT7A - Raid and has been running a G400 - 16Mb single head without any hassle at all.

The drivers refuse to install properly, Powerdesk refuses to recognise the card as being a Matrox, even though the system sees it for what it is.

I'd hoped there was a problem with the card or cd, but I tried installing it on my daughter's machine - a Tyan Trinity with a 450 Mhz AMD and normally running a Matrox Mystique 220. It installed fine.

I'm not leaving it on her machine, she can have the G400.

Any thoughts? I've taken every other card out of my machine and tried that, but still no luck.
    Last edited by AlanMabbutt; 4 September 2001, 07:33.

Post up the rest of your system spec... What OS, full IRQ list, etc

Welcome to the forums
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hope the following is enough. as you can see, it is when the G400 is running, but the G550 was reporting the same Irq. ie11

Comment

oops here it is.

Motherboard chipset:Via KT133A
        CPU:AMD Athlon 1.2GHz
        Motherboard Bios: Award 6.00 PG
        Desktop resolution and color depth:n/a
        Direct X version:8.0a
        Hard Drive: Maxtor VL40
        SCSI card type: n/a
        Sound card and driver version: Hercules Muse XL - new card
        Monitor brand: Shinho AV2 (plug and play)
        DVD-ROM Drive (make/model): Ricoh 9060A
        IRQ settings:0 System timer
        1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
        2 Programmable interrupt controller
        3 3Com EtherLink 10 ISA (3C509/3C509b) in Legacy mode
        4 Communications Port (COM1)
        5 Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
        5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
        7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
        8 System CMOS/real time clock
        10 Hauppauge Win/TV 848/9 VFW Driver
        9 (free)
        10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        11 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
        11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        12 Gamesurround MUSE XL Audio Device
        12 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
        12 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
        12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        13 Numeric data processor
        14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
        14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
        15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
        15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Comment

First thing you will need to do is uninstall your current drivers. Just goto add/remove programs in your control panel, then select Matrox software, uninstall then reboot. Then you will need to get drivers that support the G550. There should be some on your CD. Reboot into windows, when windows picks up your card, click cancel. Once into windows run the setup for the G550 drivers.

Rags

Comment

I have gone as far as taking out all other cards. Using the Matrox utility to remove all the drivers and powerdesk and made sure there were very few programs running - eg explorer, systray and the like.

It still doesn't work. It is very confusing to say the least. Does anyone know of a problem with Abit or has anyone installed successfully on a similar system?

Comment

I think some drivers may not be installing. Only G550.dll and G550.vxd are listed. It appears the 32 bit drivers aren't installing. Any ideas - suggestions gratefully received.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanMabbutt
                I think some drivers may not be installing. Only G550.dll and G550.vxd are listed. It appears the 32 bit drivers aren't installing. Any ideas - suggestions gratefully received.
                can only suggest you get up & running with the generic windows vga driver & manually try installing the matrox driver by using the update driver button in device manager.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried it though to no avail.

I am considering backing up my c drive and installing Windows on its own. Installing the drivers and then restoring from my backup to get back my original settings.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I can't really add anything to this but I do have one question...I was reading over at the Matrox Support Forums that Someone was running into problems installing a G450 into a brand new Abit KG-7 RAID Motherboard. The only common link I can come up with between these two boards is that they both use a Hotpoint RAID controller as part of the chipset. Maybe theres a problem with the hotpoint drivers and the Matrox drivers???

Scott

Future owner of a KG-7 RAID
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It is a thought, but I have the raid controller turned off in bios.

Comment

Yup it's beginning to look like a clean install. Before doing that I'd suggest going into the bios noting your settings and then clearing it all together. It shouldn't make any differenace but stranger things have happened.
                        I would then be tempted to uninstall the via gart driver and then re-install it.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've run a G550 on both a KT7A and KT7A-RAID so I know it isn't the motherboard. I did have problems getting the drivers to install when I had removed a previous installation, setup would appear to run but when the files were supposedly being copied nothing actually was, that part simply flashed by instead of seeing the files flying across the screen. The solution I found was to remove all traces of any previous installation, reboot, allow the card to be detected as a standard VGA card and the default driver to be installed (don't hit cancel), then reboot the system and install your version of PowerDesk and all should be fine and dandy

Comment

It is looking more and more like a software conflict for some reason.

When I checked the display properties, the current files reported were G550.dll and G550.vxd, whereas with the G400 there are more files listed - something like G400dd32.dll and G400dd.vxd.

Does this give a clue to anyone?

Comment

Working...
                            X