Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Unveils Tiny MPEG-2 Tape Format/Camcorder

More:

IFA 2001: We don't normally talk about camcorders here, but this announcement is interesting because of the technology employed. The new tiny 'Network Handycam IP' DCR-IP7 'MICROMV' digital camcorder records digital video onto new MICROMV tapes (which are 30% the volume of a DV tape). The DCR-IP7 can also shoot 640 x 480 JPEG's or MPEG-1 clips onto Memory Stick, even more interesting is that the camcorder supports Bluetooth wireless transfer as well as USB and Firewire (IEEE 1394). This neat little camcorder can also send email and browse the web. Oh yes, and it's 2 x 4 x 3 inches and weighs in at 370 g (13 oz) with battery.

Comment

I think we need another tape format like we need a hole in the head. If Sony was serious in developing a MPEG2 format they would have been better doing it as a DVD Cam maybe using DVD-RW or +RW format.
      paulw

Comment

IMHO if they REALLY want to improve digital video they'll make a cam with higher editing quality than DV25 (consumer DV @ 25 mbps) is capable of.

Show me a *reasonably priced* DV50 consumer cam that uses 4:2:2 colorspace and THEN I'll get excited (D9 etc.). Make it 16:9 capable with 3 CCD's and I'll be positively orgasmic

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sony is really interested in selling tapes. Lots of tapes.
          Especially the ones they invented (like hi-8) so they don't have to pay royalties. They are just about the largest tape manufacturer in the world.

So they invented D-8 camcorders in order to be able to keep selling hi-8 tapes. And they promote super-audio CD's rather than DVD-audio. And they'd love you to buy their mpeg-2 tapes.

Sony is also a large producer of music CD's and video DVD's and, of course, doesn't want you to copy them. That's why there are no Sony CDR's (or are there?). That's why a Sony minidisk recorder can't make digital copies. That's why there are no PC-compatible minidisk drives. That's why there is no ATRAC codec for the PC.

I personally would LOVE a minidisk drive for the PC. A 100 megabytes disk for $2 that can also contain music? Wow!
          Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I agree that we don't need another tape format. I suspect that this is the start of a new Sony campaign to counter the lack of success of D8, which has certainly not met their expectations, which were to oust mini-DV. They probably shot themselves in the foot by continuing with mini-DV for their better cameras, demonstrating to the public that they did not have the courage of their convictions. Ambivalence is not a good marketing ploy.

OTOH, I'm not sure that DVD-R/RW will be the answer, either. Fine in the home, but for the rough and tumble of mobile life? Any more than hard disk cameras. With the new IBM technique of orienting atoms on a disk, it has been said that you can get 1 Tb on a single platter. Sounds great, but can the mechanics support such precision in mobile applications? Those who have lap-tops with modern drives know that these are well cushioned but the service guys will tell you every time that it is the most delicate component and that they replace them more frequently than anything else, even the battery. I suggest a camera, on an average, gets rougher treatment and is used under a wider variety of ambient conditions than a lap-top.

My guess is that the mini-DV will remain the mainstream medium for a few years, yet.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

IBM's molecular storage doesn't depend on a disk. It can be made in many different formats including a stationary medium and solid state movable-mirror lasers for R/W.

Also, watch out for FMD: flourescent multilayered disk (or card). It makes DVD look like a 5 page notebook by storing up to 100 gigs per CD sized disk or 20 gigs per 2mm thick card. They also announced an HDTV compatable design this summer.

Now, if they can just get it produced.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't know what Sony's expectations were, but D8 seems successful enough in the US. Its a great bridge system for people with 8mm and/or Hi8 to move to digital. Hitachi also has a pair of models for sale so its not strictly a Sony only format over here.

I agree its a shame D8 doesn't have a 3-CCD top of the line model.

The tapes are still ~ 1/2 or less the cost of miniDV so I'm happy to write my finished projects off to D8 tape to get them off the hard drives. ~$5 for 13GB SP or 19GB LP is tough to beat. I'm thinking about getting a GV-D200 or GV-D800 "video walkman" to use as a D8 deck. The DV model equiv are almost twice the price (the D8's are too high IMHO which is holding me back).

I'm not anti minDV as I have a Canon ZR10 I got specifically for its small size.

I think an MPEG-2 recorded tape format is the stupidest thing I've heard about in quite some time -- independent of the form factor.

I think the MPEG-2 optical (DVD-RAM) disk formats are pretty lame too, as MPEG-2 is terrible for editing unless its I-frame only which then is about the size of DV. The DVD-RAM disks are too slow and too small for DV.

--wally.
                Last edited by wkulecz; 3 September 2001, 13:19.

Comment

Flying dutchman

There are plenty of Sony branded CDR and CDRW out there. All made in Taiwan..
                  paulw

Comment

I quote from the article mentioned by Jerrold:

"Sony Corp. has rolled out a proprietary tape format that is the first to deliver MPEG-2 compression. "

That is simply untrue, it seems like they have forgotten about D-VHS...

IMHO, the DV-format cassette is small enough as it is. If anybody wants to store Mpeg-2 on it, fine, but why develop a new cassette?

@paulw: I have never ever ever ever seen a Sony CDR in either Holland or Germany! But maybe I just haven't looked well enough.
                    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
                    X