Refresh Rate Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh Rate Problems

I cannot get refresh rates above 75/85hz when using a g450 in win2k. I have tried both the microsoft plug & play and the monitor company's driver. I have tried different matrox drivers and upgrading the bios. I have checked/unchecked "hide refresh rates not supported". It's not the monitor, because i can get higher refresh rates with other video cards. This has happened with two different monitors (although they were both fd trinitrons). I don't think this happened in win9x, but i can't remember. So i'm thinking it's a g450/driver/os problem. Any suggestions, thanks.

simply goto display properties/Advanced/monitor settings/ and you can customize your refresh rate on that resolution.

Rags

Comment

I already tried that. What I was trying to say is that 85hz is the maximum refresh rate that is available. I can't believe that the g450 is only capable of 85hz maximum refresh rate in win2k on a sony fd trinitron monitor. Is that possible?

Comment

You can select any refresh rate you want by going to DISPLAY PROPERTIES/SETTINGS/ADVANCED/MONITOR SETTINGS/ADJUST CURRENT DISPLAY MODE (or adjust different display mode if you choose to adjust more than one mode).

Rags

Comment

Always works for me if you don't get the option it looks like you driver installation hasn't worked. Try uninstalling and then re-installing.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I am in the exact location you are specifying. At any combination resolution/color depth, the maximum refresh rate available is 85hz. The video card is a g450 lx dh 16mb ddr agp and the monitor is a ctx pr960f. This occurs after a clean install of either win2k or winme, using the microsoft plug and play monitor driver or the ctx driver, using the whql or latest matrox driver with bios 1.6.29. When using another video card (Radeon), i get higher refresh rates such as 120hz at 1152 x 864 x 32. What refresh rates do you get?

Comment

The standard refresh rate list only go to 85Hz Click on the "Refresh rate" box below and you can change it by clicking the up arrow or yousing the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard!!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Why do you want to up the refresh rate past 85Hz? Unless you're part of that <1% of the population that can see the flicker even up to 100Hz or so, there's no reason to do it.

Monitors and RAMDACs are two things that rarely need to be "overclocked." And if I remember correctly, Sony even advises <I>against</I> upping the refresh over 85Hz, due to premature wear.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  Why do you want to up the refresh rate past 85Hz
                  Maybe he is a lucky bastard just like me! My new monitor goes over 200Hz!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Believe or not sometimes going higher you can get a clearer display. I've done it in the past and was quite surprised that I got a clearer image at 95hz than 85hz
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The first screen of monitor settings looks like this:

Then when you click on adjust current display mode, it will look somewhat like this:

Finally after you have made your settings, you need to check this box that I have checked in this pic:

Rags

Comment

Customized by User

Rags, how can I get to that "Use customizations to Windows monitor settings" on the second monitor?

It's greyed out in my config.

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

ok, my mistake. I was trying to adjust the refresh rate through windows, as opposed to matrox powerdesk. I didn't know you could override it in there. As far as wanting a refresh rate over 85hz, I knew this issue would probably come up. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ac6712
                            ok, my mistake. I was trying to adjust the refresh rate through windows, as opposed to matrox powerdesk. I didn't know you could override it in there. As far as wanting a refresh rate over 85hz, I knew this issue would probably come up. Thanks.
                            Now you see why I specifically said MONITOR SETTINGS, and even went so far as to put SETTINGS in bold to point it out. I already knew where you were looking, and I was trying my hardest to get that across without posting pics

Rags

Comment

Re: Customized by User

Originally posted by Jorden
                              Rags, how can I get to that "Use customizations to Windows monitor settings" on the second monitor?

It's greyed out in my config.

Jord.
                              Don't know, Jord.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X