See how strange language Finnish is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See how strange language Finnish is?

Everyone except the Finnish know that Finnish is a strange language. Here are some untypical examples of it. I have tried to translate them.

"Keksijä Keksi keksi keksin. Keksittyään keksin keksijä Keksi keksi keksin keksityksi."

Means, "Cookie the Inventor invented the cookie. After Cookie the Inventor had invented the cookie he invented the cookie to be invented."

As you can see the words in the the finnish sentence are but variations of the word "keksi", which is "cookie" (or "bisquit").

Here the Master shouts to his servant whose name is Kokko.
    - Kokko, kokoo kokoon koko kokko!
    - Koko kokkoko?
    - Koko kokko.

- Kokko, build up the whole bonfire!
    - The whole bonfire?
    - The whole bonfire.

In Finnish it is necessary only to use two letters: o and k, but it's much more complicated in English (and doesn't sound so funny at all).

"Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän. "

This is only, I repeat, only one word, not several words combined together. It is almost impossible to translate this, but I can try. Mix these words together and you'll know roughly what the word means ("not" is several times):

not is not unsystematicalish not he perhaps his too

And a dozen of more words which I can't think of. You have to study finnish for ten years before you know what that means (a ten-year-old finnish child begins vaguely understand it). But even I don't know exactly what the heck it means as it probably doesn't mean anything rational!
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

In Finnish it is necessary only to use two letters: o and k
    OK!

Comment

I met a hockey player from Finalnd once, with a giant Rottewiller (?) named Elmo. His dog only understood Finnish so I got to hear him speak in Finnish. It doesn't seem like a language the common person can learn, if it's not their native language.

He explained some the the sentence structuring and so forth, but it was too confusing. Isn't there also something about how long you hold the sound of a vowel? I know there's an 'a' and an 'aa', that if you mispronoune them in a word can completely change the meaning.

Too much work for me.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Infact Finnish is one of the most difficult languages to master...

...so im happy that i allmost got it now after 27 years of training.. well i was pretty passive for the first year, but still...

PeTe
        Last edited by PeTe; 30 August 2001, 23:45.

Comment

Xsamples

I know there's an 'a' and an 'aa', that if you mispronoune them in a word can completely change the meaning.
          Some examples:
          • if I have a word Luuta-akka (probably means an elder woman with a broom) I must pronounce it Luuta' akka (a pause in the middle). If I pronounce it Luutaakka, it means "a load of brooms".
          • the verb "auttaa" (help) is only a basic form of it. If I say "auta" I mean "help me". If I say "autan" it means "I help" etc.

Comment

I know your language is completely different from other european languages but how close culturally are the Finns to the Nordics? Are you separated by more than just a language? The reason is ask is because I was led to believe that your language has only one other relative and this occurs somewhere in the depths of east Europe/central asia (but not sure where and happy to be proven wrong).

regards MD
            Interests include:
            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

This would be hungarian... Also impossible to understand

Comment

Finnish has several relative language, these are the closest ones:
                • Estonian
                • Karelian
                • Vatja (don't know the English name)
                • Vepsä (ditto)
                • Liivi (ditto)
                • Saame (the language that they speak in Lapland)
                • Hungary

But then again, there are some remarkable similarities between Finnish and Swedish and even between Finnish and German (!). Some words are almost the same in both Finnish and Swedish (like väri -> färg, they are pronounced the same way) and some pronoun structures in German correspond the Finnish ones. I have no idea what relation do Russian and Finnish have as I haven't studied Russian.

Comment

English can be strange...

Overheard a conversation that sounded like :

"to to lo to lo to lo to"
                  :-)

I should mention that it was an English couple in a Belgian trainstation, wanting to buy two tickets to Loo - a city in Belgium. This is in fact what they were saying :

- Two to Loo ?
                  - To Loo ?
                  - To Loo Two !
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                  X